Minimum wage.

Dec 2018
Tempe, AZ
PaulSmith69, I googled “artificial economy”. its an “abstract” model of an economy used for analyzing and to understand how populations and markets behave. You believe that analyzing to learn is undesirable? Respectfully, Supposn

https://www.researchgate.net/post/What_are_the_minimum_components_for_an_artificial_economy
An artificial economy is a model, an abstraction of reality. The simplest forms have two agents with "wants", at least one scarce production factor, more than one scarce commodity or service, a basis for exchange (rudimentary institutions) and some level of inequality.
////////
or refer to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artificial_economics
Would you feel better with "controlled economy"? :rolleyes:

Aug 2010
Cliffside Park, NJ
Would you feel better with "controlled economy"?
PaulSmith69, there are different degrees of governing regulations from the extremes of fascism to complete lack of governing, (i.e. anarchy). Do you prefer a government with no law and order, or just government laws and regulations that do not apply to you or conflict with your personal preferences?

Were discussing a wide spectrum of governing systems. I suppose neither one of us are advocating the extreme positions?
Respectfully, Supposn

Jan 2020
Pacific Northwest
PaulSmith69 said: “Minimum wages ADD to poverty, same as welfare does, rather than lifting people out of poverty.
NO incentive to get off one's lazy ass and improve one's self is a bad idea".
You're assuming that the problem is laziness, but there's no evidence for that.

Think about your recommended solution, which is to provide "incentive" to "improve one's self". If a person has no interest in improving themselves, "incentives" won't help. If a person DOES have an interest in improving themselves, they don't need an "incentive".

Secondly, suppose you succeed in forcing a "lazy person" to either work or starve. How do you suppose he will perform on the job?

Your "solution" is part of the problem.

Aug 2010
Cliffside Park, NJ
Minimum wages ADD to poverty, same as welfare does, rather than lifting people out of poverty.
NO incentive to get off one's lazy ass and improve one's self is a bad idea.
Think about your recommended solution, which is to provide "incentive" to "improve one's self". If a person has no interest in improving themselves, "incentives" won't help. If a person DOES have an interest in improving themselves, they don't need an "incentive".

Secondly, suppose you succeed in forcing a "lazy person" to either work or starve. How do you suppose he will perform on the job?
Your "solution" is part of the problem. [/QUOTE ]

What are you guys opinions regarding reducing of obstacles hindering persons to improve themselves? Would that be preferable? Respectfully, Supposn

Jan 2020
Pacific Northwest
Self-improvement is great and desirable. But we shouldn't push for poverty wages disguised as an "incentive".

Aug 2010
Cliffside Park, NJ
Minimum wages ADD to poverty, same as welfare does, rather than lifting people out of poverty.

NO incentive to get off one's lazy ass and improve one's self is a bad idea.

Your "solution" is part of the problem.
PaulSmith69 & Kode, what are you guys opinions regarding reducing of obstacles hindering persons to improve themselves? Would that be preferable? Respectfully, Supposn.

Jan 2020
Pacific Northwest
PaulSmith69 & Kode, what are you guys opinions regarding reducing of obstacles hindering persons to improve themselves? Would that be preferable? Respectfully, Supposn.
What obstacles?

BTW, I replied to you in "Feedback".

Aug 2010
Cliffside Park, NJ
What obstacles?
BTW, I replied to you in "Feedback".
Kode, other nations spend much less than the USA per capita of their populations or students, and the products of some of those nations’ training and educational systems are superior to ours.
Many nations low-cost mass transportation that enable poorer workers reach their jobs, are superior to ours.
Many nations ACTUALLY have affordable medical care available to all their citizens.
Many nations’ proportional segment of middle-income earners are increasing significantly; USA’s proportion of middle-income earners are stagnant, if not actually shrinking.

USA does not accomplish everything in a superior manner; (i.e. the sun don’t shine out of our posteriors).

Respectfully, Supposn

Jan 2020
Pacific Northwest
Kode, other nations spend much less than the USA per capita of their populations or students, and the products of some of those nations’ training and educational systems are superior to ours.
Many nations low-cost mass transportation that enable poorer workers reach their jobs, are superior to ours.
Many nations ACTUALLY have affordable medical care available to all their citizens.
Many nations’ proportional segment of middle-income earners are increasing significantly; USA’s proportion of middle-income earners are stagnant, if not actually shrinking.

USA does not accomplish everything in a superior manner; (i.e. the sun don’t shine out of our posteriors).

Respectfully, Supposn
Yes. I know that. I was asking for you to identify some of the obstacles to which you refer.

Aug 2010
Cliffside Park, NJ
I did just that within the post you quoted. Those are some, among the items that are obstacles to individuals in less fortunate circumstances. Respectfully, Supposn

Jan 2020
Pacific Northwest
Ok. You asked for opinions on specific issues. Let's examine them...
Most Americans like the idea of better mass transportation, but the only way we will get it is by getting suitable Democrats in office and get Republicans out.

Over 75% of the public wants Medicare for All, but the only way we will get it is by getting suitable Democrats in office and get Republicans out.

Our middle class is shrinking because of Republican attacks on our income. Trump has given us tax cuts for the rich that either do not fairly benefit the middle class or actually harms us depending on income. He has harmed us in many other ways that result in life expectancy declining, like pre-existing conditions being excludable, poisonous water, opioid addictions due to prescription drugs, cuts to services like the EPA, etc. But the only way we will get these things corrected at this point is by getting suitable Democrats in office and get Republicans out.