Mordrid intro

Sep 2013
Michigan
Greetings, everyone. I am allowed the name, Mordrid on this site. The greatest part of my background is in electronics and computer software. I also hold an obsolete degree in art and design. Additionally, esoteric philosophy has been a long-standing interest.

I find forums such as this interesting, but not compelling--so don't wonder that I may not post very frequently, the demands of life being what they are.

I've registered at about ten sites for their forums over the past ten years or so. Only the political forums, though, have I found to harbor a peculiar disruptive element, the most prominent qualities of which I would characterize as insincerity, crassness, manipulation, and abusiveness.

At one site, every message had to go through a moderator before it could post. True, the disruptive element was non-existent; but the atmosphere I found oppressive.

Then I found ArgueWithEveryone. This site felt wide open. There were some really wonderful people there, but the disruptive element was a constant bother. Then, one day, the site was just no longer there. I'd be interested if anyone has a clue as to what might have happened.

Most recently I've been a member at DebatePolitics, where the situation is little better than it had been at AWE. I've come to the conclusion that it's not politics that riles this disruptive element, but, rather, opinion itself. It rises wherever there can be a clash of opinions. It is the flavor of conflict--the blood in the water--that draws the masses; that perks the ears; that lights the eyes; that fires the heart.

It seems to me that the challenge is to keep this passion alive in the midst of maturity, integrity, and respect. Good luck to us all!

Reactions: 1 person
Oct 2012
Louisville, Ky
Greetings, everyone. I am allowed the name, Mordrid on this site. The greatest part of my background is in electronics and computer software. I also hold an obsolete degree in art and design. Additionally, esoteric philosophy has been a long-standing interest.

I find forums such as this interesting, but not compelling--so don't wonder that I may not post very frequently, the demands of life being what they are.

I've registered at about ten sites for their forums over the past ten years or so. Only the political forums, though, have I found to harbor a peculiar disruptive element, the most prominent qualities of which I would characterize as insincerity, crassness, manipulation, and abusiveness.

At one site, every message had to go through a moderator before it could post. True, the disruptive element was non-existent; but the atmosphere I found oppressive.

Then I found ArgueWithEveryone. This site felt wide open. There were some really wonderful people there, but the disruptive element was a constant bother. Then, one day, the site was just no longer there. I'd be interested if anyone has a clue as to what might have happened.

Most recently I've been a member at DebatePolitics, where the situation is little better than it had been at AWE. I've come to the conclusion that it's not politics that riles this disruptive element, but, rather, opinion itself. It rises wherever there can be a clash of opinions. It is the flavor of conflict--the blood in the water--that draws the masses; that perks the ears; that lights the eyes; that fires the heart.

It seems to me that the challenge is to keep this passion alive in the midst of maturity, integrity, and respect. Good luck to us all!
Firstly...welcome to the Fray. Just know we do not play the freedom of abuse game (DP) nor do we limit the freedom to express opinion. The Idea behind this forum is to create a place that skirts the middle ground between aggression and passionate opinion.

There are occasions when lines are crossed, but I have issued very few infractions due to the intelligence of the membership....and my subtle indications that it might be a good idea to mellow out.

There are few places to play that work as well as this one....and it will remain that way.

Feb 2013
just past the moons of Jupiter
Mordrid, as in Morgana's son, as in Arthur's heir?

Are youa fan of the legend?

Sep 2013
Michigan
Mordrid, as in Morgana's son, as in Arthur's heir?

Are youa fan of the legend?
Yes, I suppose I am. Myth and legend in general I find interesting. And I will confess to watching the recent BBC TV series "Merlin", even despite its sluggish pace.

I have a superficial familiarity with the perspectives of Joseph Campbell. Since I'm a fan of the Electric Universe ideology, I think about the ideas of Immanuel Velikovsky (Worlds in Collision) with some relish.

Are you particularly enamored of the Arthurian legends?

Reactions: 1 person
Jan 2010
Miami
Hey you... We're acquainted already sorta... but *bear hugs you anyway*
Enjoy yourself!

Sep 2013
Michigan
I have been on most political forums over 15 years. For the most part, the disruption is the agenda of leftists who can't compete.
Most of them? About how many might that be? I've tried, maybe, five over the past 10 years. I've always been disappointed at the lack of quality discourse--everybody seems so violently attached to their opinions. But, I guess that's politics.

Dec 2013
South Hill
Most of them? About how many might that be? I've tried, maybe, five over the past 10 years. I've always been disappointed at the lack of quality discourse--everybody seems so violently attached to their opinions. But, I guess that's politics.
I've been on about 10. The trolls are predominantly leftist trash.