My Welcome to the Fray

Jul 2013
los angeles
I'm a 66 year-old White man who isn't angry about much except how many of my fellow citizens continue to believe "choosing" between Republican OR Democrat in the voting booth Changes anything of substance.

Huey Long saw it clearly decades ago when he pointed out DC's resemblance to a restaurant, with Republican waiters along one wall and Democrat servers lining the other. Regardless of which party delivered your order, "all the grub came from Wall Street's kitchen."

Huey would've known how to use the Internet to FLUSH dozens (hundreds?) of incumbents from both parties from the US Congress in a single news cycle.

What's wrong with the rest of us?

Oct 2012
Louisville, Ky
I'm a 66 year-old White man who isn't angry about much except how many of my fellow citizens continue to believe "choosing" between Republican OR Democrat in the voting booth Changes anything of substance.

Huey Long saw it clearly decades ago when he pointed out DC's resemblance to a restaurant, with Republican waiters along one wall and Democrat servers lining the other. Regardless of which party delivered your order, "all the grub came from Wall Street's kitchen."

Huey would've known how to use the Internet to FLUSH dozens (hundreds?) of incumbents from both parties from the US Congress in a single news cycle.

I welcome you to the Fray...but in answer...we are not very bright as a species.

Aug 2012
North Texas
and then what? Set himself up as de facto dictator as he did in Louisiana? Sorry, but I don't buy the "we need to use corruption and graft to get rid of corruption and graft" line any more than I do the "we had to burn the village in order to save it". :)

Huey Long | PBS
Huey Long . Timeline | PBS

(for those who have Netflix DVD)

[YOUTUBE]hphgHi6FD8k[/YOUTUBE]

Since we're on the subject, what did you (or anyone else) think of the Sean Penn movie "All the King's Men" roughly based on Huey Long? The 1946 version with Broderick Crawford?

Jul 2013
los angeles
I welcome you to the Fray...but in answer...we are not very bright as a species.
Possibly we're brighter with the hive (collective) intelligence that the internet affords? I've been posting regularly for nearly four years now, and I can't help noticing how many times I've been able to discuss politics regularly with someone I could not talk to for five minutes if we were in the same room. Thanks for your welcome.

Jul 2013
los angeles
and then what? Set himself up as de facto dictator as he did in Louisiana? Sorry, but I don't buy the "we need to use corruption and graft to get rid of corruption and graft" line any more than I do the "we had to burn the village in order to save it". :)

Huey Long | PBS
Huey Long . Timeline | PBS

(for those who have Netflix DVD)

[YOUTUBE]hphgHi6FD8k[/YOUTUBE]

Since we're on the subject, what did you (or anyone else) think of the Sean Penn movie "All the King's Men" roughly based on Huey Long? The 1946 version with Broderick Crawford?
I don't doubt Huey would have been corrupted by power, only that he saw clearly the dependence both major US parties had on Wall Street three generations ago.

Today there are millions of eligible voters in the US who don't see any reason to cast a ballot. I'm pretty sure someone like Huey could convince them to choose between established third party congressional candidates appearing on their ballots and FLUSH hundreds of Democrats AND Republicans from DC in a single news cycle.

Do you think that would Change anything?

Aug 2012
North Texas
I don't doubt Huey would have been corrupted by power, only that he saw clearly the dependence both major US parties had on Wall Street three generations ago.
Dude, Huey Long wasn't the first nor was he the last to recognize that money is power and power corrupts.

Jul 2013
los angeles
Dude, Huey Long wasn't the first nor was he the last to recognize that money is power and power corrupts.
Very true.
Every government yet devised exists to make its richest citizens richer.
Elected Republicans AND Democrats depend on the same 1% of US voters to fund their campaigns and retirements.
The quickest way to change that is to stop "choosing" between two corporate controlled parties in the voting booth.

Reactions: 1 person
Mar 2013
Arkansas
well said

Yep hold up your hand palm out, there's a Democrat; flip it around where the knuckles show, there's a Republican. Flip it again palm out, by gosh there's a conservative, flip to the back hand there's another liberal. :D
Politicians that is.

Reactions: 2 people