natural interpretations of right and wrong

Oct 7, 2012
NC
from a "natural" sense of life, meaning all science chalks up to life, we as humans are "right" or better said, "successful" by one thing and one thing alone.

procreation.

procreation so as to enable our genes to carry on. that means the guy who has 11 kids out of wed-lock and is a dead-beat dad and abuser is a success. he put his genes out there and thus wins from a darwinian standpoint.

wrong or failure in this light is simply not spreading ones genes. so the man who is charitable and perhaps does not have kids but gives to orphanages or even adopts a child or two (of the deadbeats children) is still by this natural definition a failure.

any thoughts?

Oct 25, 2012
Louisville, Ky
from a "natural" sense of life, meaning all science chalks up to life, we as humans are "right" or better said, "successful" by one thing and one thing alone.

procreation.

procreation so as to enable our genes to carry on. that means the guy who has 11 kids out of wed-lock and is a dead-beat dad and abuser is a success. he put his genes out there and thus wins from a darwinian standpoint.

wrong or failure in this light is simply not spreading ones genes. so the man who is charitable and perhaps does not have kids but gives to orphanages or even adopts a child or two (of the deadbeats children) is still by this natural definition a failure.

any thoughts?
Humankind have evolved into a societal animal...Due to adaptations this entails it no longer depends on Darwinian evolution or individual survival of the fittest procreation.

Oct 7, 2012
NC
Humankind have evolved into a societal animal...Due to adaptations this entails it no longer depends on Darwinian evolution or individual survival of the fittest procreation.

so naturalism falls short of answering moral questions?

from wiki...

Naturalism is "the idea or belief that only laws of nature (physical law) (as opposed to supernatural or spiritual) and forces operate in the world; the idea or belief that nothing exists beyond the natural world."[

Oct 7, 2012
NC
"Right and successful " / "wrong and failure" were also included in the opening topic and these are very tied in with morality

Oct 25, 2012
Louisville, Ky
I disagree that procreation is the only success. Survival is the primary success. Procreation is merely icing on the cake. :p

Considering the incredible amount of children that need viable parents...should we not let them have access to them?
?
But where "right & wrong" comes into the discussion, I have no clue. :confused:
Considering the incredible amount of children that need viable parents...should we not let them have access to them?

as for right and wrong you not only "Have a clue"...you have an opinion you wish to share.

Feb 8, 2013
just past the moons of Jupiter

procreation.

any thoughts?
I find appeals to nature in deciding whether something is good or bad to be extremely short sided mostly based on your argument above. Basically it's a logical fallacy.

Oct 7, 2012
NC
I find appeals to nature in deciding whether something is good or bad to be extremely short sided mostly based on your argument above. Basically it's a logical fallacy.
yeah that's the point. i post it to highlight the logical fallacy that nature provides such an argument. or some try but when examined it falls short.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2013
just past the moons of Jupiter
yeah that's the point. i post it to highlight the logical fallacy that nature provides such an argument. or some try but when examined it falls short.
Yeah, I agree. It's a bad point to argue but I haven't really seen much real debate on it here.

Oct 7, 2012
NC

procreation.

any thoughts?
bump... any new thoughts?
it seems any true morality requires the supernatural .

Nov 21, 2017
Behind the 8 ball
bump... any new thoughts?
it seems any true morality requires the supernatural .
I saw a show on bears in remote Alaska, and it has be documented that when when one of them succumbs to death, the
group actually digs a hole, and drags the carcass into the hole, and buries it.

Oct 7, 2012
NC
I saw a show on bears in remote Alaska, and it has be documented that when when one of them succumbs to death, the
group actually digs a hole, and drags the carcass into the hole, and buries it.
thats cool.

I've heard elephants grieve their losses too .