No 2nd amend. rights at this apartment complex

Jul 2009
Port St. Lucie
The 2nd Amendment only applies to the Feds. Even if the state constitution has something similar, it still only applies to the state gov't. This is a private business with a no-gun policy. Nothing illegal is happening, just a bunch of people that don't understand the separation of powers.

Aug 2013
Oklahoma
Wait a minute. Don't all citizens have a right to bear arms. Don't all citizens have a right to keep a weapon in their home for, we'll for whatever reason. Is not this apartment complex violating these tenants rights? Or do I misunderstand you?

Oct 2012
Louisville, Ky
Wait a minute. Don't all citizens have a right to bear arms. Don't all citizens have a right to keep a weapon in their home for, we'll for whatever reason. Is not this apartment complex violating these tenants rights? Or do I misunderstand you?
This is private property that exchanges money for residency. They make the rules for those deciding to use the property. Those wishing to be armed can live somewhere else.

Aug 2013
Oklahoma
Hopefully they all move out and leave the owners no choice but to board the windows. I don't view this at all in the same light as a tattoo shop or a coffee house requiring you too leave your firearm in the car. It is your home. There are different rights in your home. The owner can't for example come walking into your home at will. Better yet, I'd like to see the tenants challenge them in court, despite the fact that courts are increasingly ruling against the constitution.

Jul 2009
Port St. Lucie
Hopefully they all move out and leave the owners no choice but to board the windows. I don't view this at all in the same light as a tattoo shop or a coffee house requiring you too leave your firearm in the car. It is your home. There are different rights in your home. The owner can't for example come walking into your home at will. Better yet, I'd like to see the tenants challenge them in court, despite the fact that courts are increasingly ruling against the constitution.
As I said no understanding of the separation of powers. Don't argue about the Constitution if you don't comprehend 1 of it's most important tenets.

Aug 2013
Oklahoma
Separation of powers? How is that relevant? Would you be ok with an apartment complex denying residence to gays? Or white people? I mean they own it, why can't they do as they will? Firearm ownership is a CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHT! Denying someone services or goods because they are exercising a constitutional right is un-American. Why would anyone support that?

Oct 2012
Louisville, Ky
They are NOT preventing them from owning a gun...they are telling them to keep it somewhere else.

Aug 2013
Oklahoma
Never said they were preventing them from owning a gun. But ones home is the most important place to exercise ones second amendment right. Do you not see in the news every day the numbers of people who regularly need to use a firearm to protect themselves in their homes? This is a basic human right. I hope this foolish apartment complex owner doesn't start a precedence with this. But it's apparent Americans are increasingly indifferent to civil liberties, even as evidenced on this board.

Jul 2009
Port St. Lucie
Land LORDS are called such for a reason. Tenants are just that and live at the mercy of whoever is granting them use of their land.

Aug 2013
Oklahoma
Land LORDS as you want to call them, though nobody calls them that anymore cannot tell you you can't rent their property because your black or brown or stupid or ugly or a Muslim or old or handicapped or own a gun get over it.

Oct 2012
Louisville, Ky
Land LORDS as you want to call them, though nobody calls them that anymore cannot tell you you can't rent their property because your black or brown or stupid or ugly or a Muslim or old or handicapped or own a gun get over it.
Actually...as evidenced by the information in this thread.......a landlord most certainly can prevent a tenant from having a gun on his property. Just as any private property owner can set the rules when someone enters.

THAT would be a civil liberty issue.....if he prevented you from OWNING a gun that would be as well.

Aug 2013
Oklahoma
It hasn't been evidenced and it remains to be seen if the gun owning tenants will remain and sue or remove. One thing is certain, there are becoming fewer and fewer places that one can exercise ones second amendment right, it's only obvious that the right is becoming moot, or at least that is the desire of many.

Oct 2012
Louisville, Ky
It hasn't been evidenced and it remains to be seen if the gun owning tenants will remain and sue or remove. One thing is certain, there are becoming fewer and fewer places that one can exercise ones second amendment right, it's only obvious that the right is becoming moot, or at least that is the desire of many.
It hasn't been evidenced that there are becoming fewer and fewer places that one can exercise ones second amendment right.

Aug 2013
Oklahoma
An apartment owner cannot restrict ones first or fourth amendment rights. But the law, the constitution, what's right, falls victim to injustice routinely. The Supreme Court decided in Heller that the DC gun ban which prevented people from bearing arms in their homes (or anywhere in the district) is unconstitutional, but the district remains belligerent to it!

Oct 2012
Louisville, Ky
Firstly, I am a gun owner and accept that there are areas I am forbidden to have it.
Secondly, the right to bear arms does not entail bearing any armament, anywhere.
Thirdly ,the apartment owner can legally prevent parties, posting fliers, Satanic rituals, and can legally enter your apartment unannounced if it is written into the lease.

He can also prohibit guns, those who do not wish to rent there...are not forced to do so.

Aug 2013
Oklahoma
What moron would sign a lease that authorises an owner to enter unannounced? The owner cannot prevent you from posting fliers inside your home or practicing a satanic or other ritual inside your home. You didn't speak to Keller I noticed.

Oct 2012
Louisville, Ky
What moron would sign a lease that authorises an owner to enter unannounced? The owner cannot prevent you from posting fliers inside your home or practicing a satanic or other ritual inside your home. You didn't speak to Keller I noticed.

I guess pretty much everyone renting moronically signs the lease:

"
Landlord Right of Entry Rule #1: Notice
The majority of states demand that landlords provide reasonable notice prior to entering the premises. Twenty-four hours is pretty standard.
However, there are some exceptions. A landlord may skip notice in cases of emergency or suspected abandonment. Abandonment may be an issue in cases of extended, unexplained absences.
Landlord Right of Entry Rule #2: Reason
Your lease may list additional reasons, but a landlord's right of entry is generally limited to certain situations. With notice, a landlord can enter an apartment for the following reasons:
  • Making repairs
  • Inspecting the premises for damage
  • Inspecting the apartment for safety and other code compliance
  • Showing the apartment to prospective tenants or buyers
  • Showing the premises to insurance or mortgage companies
  • A reasonable belief that the lease is being violated
Landlord Right of Entry Rule #3: Consent
Your landlord may have provided notice, and have a good reason. But can you still deny access?
The general rule is that you can't unreasonably deny entry. You can probably require a repair be moved to a different date, or demand that you be home at the time. However, you can't completely stop a landlord from making an essential repair, or from showing the apartment.
If you absolutely do not want your landlord to enter your apartment, look up your state's landlord right of entry law. It will provide you with more specific guidance."

"
Can a landlord prevent fliers:
That would depend on the form of advertising.

How and where would the advertising be done for such?

The landlord can preclude you from putting up posters or fliers on the building but not advertise in the newspaper about such.

The landlord and mandate restrictions as to what is placed on the building and store front - but not what within the leased premises or in other 3rd party medias. "

Regardless, these are not issues related to deadly weapons. I own my home, and thus have the means to protect mine if needed....if I wanted this ability while renting, I would simply not live there.

But,....I could still own my guns.

Aug 2013
Oklahoma
Dude! You said unannounced. Nobody would sign a lease that allowed the owner to come in there house unannounced. Emergencies of course would be excepted, and maintenance or spraying bugs needs advanced notice. So you've made no point there. We're talking about (in this thread) a renter being able to posses a fire arm in his home, or have a flier on the wall in his home or practice a satanic ritual in his home. And for me it's whether or not someone should be able to prevent you from the basic right of self defence in your home, and they should not, and I hope these tenants file suit.

Dec 2012
Florida
The Constitution doesn't say you have the right to own a gun. It says you have the right to keep and bear arms. This appears to make all laws restricting gun possession illegal.
You cannot "bear"arms if you don't have them in your immediate possession.