Noah's Ark

Mar 2009
I had a discussion about Noah's Ark with a friend the other day and I was wondering what some Christians here had to say about it. Do you guys actually believe it to be a true story or what?

Just thinking about it logically it doesn't make any sense at all and I wonder how some people can believe it to be true.

Jan 2009
It's a really standard story from mythology. I believe that there is a similar story in another ancient civilization's mythos. I know that the whole "baby in a basket" exists in 7 other civilizations.

I believe they've linked the story to a real event. Some wealthy noble/king thought a flood was coming. He built a boat in his yard and had his wine stored in it. When the flood came, he rushed onto it with his concubines and carried his riches to safety. That's about it though.

It's a crazy story in and of itself. It also never made sense to me. God thought the world was unclean, so he decided to kill everybody? He's God. Couldn't he have used a bit more finesse. Same thing with Jericho (if I remember correctly).

Mar 2009
its all chinese whispers fella :D some dude put 2 earth worms in his pocket when it started raining . and told the wrong person. she told her friend and wel we know the rest before long he had 2 lions

Mar 2009
Florida, USA
I've read that all cultures have a flood legend. Maybe it comes from people finding fish fossils in the desert, and not having a concept of evolution and changing geology, could only explain it with a flood. Or maybe it comes from the need to believe there is sometimes a chance to start fresh.

Jan 2009
Yeah. I've seen a few earlier flood myths which Noah's story seems to copy. There are a couple of cultural memes in place just about everywhere. A flood is a pretty powerful concept for cleansing the land and for the survivor to do great things with his clean slate.

Mar 2009
North Carolina
I believe that something similar to this event occurred in History. Afterall there are multiple cultures who talk about this story. I think that there was a man who took his family and some animals on a boat he made during a flood. And because this was something unheard of in ancient times someone sang a song about it. The song became popular and multiple cultures took it and made it their own. I don't think a flood engulfed the whole world, but a big enough flood would have felt like the world was under water. And it's crazy to think that EVERY animal was on one boat. Most likely it was just the dude's personal livestock.

Anyway that's what I think...

Mar 2009
Undisclosed
Delta! Surely you jest!

Can't you just see ol Noah with his lasso's and cages? He was the original wrangler. Not to mention ship builder and sailor. Just an all around multitasker!

Mar 2009
So I was in the shower and a long time favorite song of mine came on: Aenima by Tool. As I was listening to it, it reminded me of what you said:

Yeah. I've seen a few earlier flood myths which Noah's story seems to copy. There are a couple of cultural memes in place just about everywhere. A flood is a pretty powerful concept for cleansing the land and for the survivor to do great things with his clean slate.
I had never really made the connection before but it's a pretty strong one (especially the last few lines that I bolded):

Some say the end is near.
Some say we'll see armageddon soon.
I certainly hope we will.
I sure could use a vacation from this

Bullshit three ring circus sideshow of
Freaks

Here in this hopeless fucking hole we call LA
The only way to fix it is to flush it all away.
Any fucking time. Any fucking day.
Learn to swim, I'll see you down in Arizona bay.

Fret for your figure and
Fret for your latte and
Fret for your lawsuit and
Fret for your hairpiece and
Fret for your prozac and
Fret for your pilot and
Fret for your contract and
Fret for your car.

It's a
Bullshit three ring circus sideshow of
Freaks

Here in this hopeless fucking hole we call LA
The only way to fix it is to flush it all away.
Any fucking time. Any fucking day.
Learn to swim, I'll see you down in Arizona bay.

Some say a comet will fall from the sky.
Followed by meteor showers and tidal waves.
Followed by faultlines that cannot sit still.
Followed by millions of dumbfounded dipshits.

Some say the end is near.
Some say we'll see armageddon soon.
I certainly hope we will cuz
I sure could use a vacation from this

Silly shit, silly shit, stupid shit...

One great big festering neon distraction,
I've a suggestion to keep you all occupied.

Learn to swim.

Mum's gonna fix it all soon.
Mum's comin' round to put it back the way it ought to be.

Learn to swim.

Fuck L Ron Hubbard and
Fuck all his clones.
Fuck all these gun-toting
Hip gangster wannabes.

Learn to swim.

Fuck retro anything.
Fuck your tattoos.
Fuck all you junkies and
Fuck your short memory.

Learn to swim.

Fuck smiley glad-hands,
With hidden agendas.
Fuck these dysfunctional,
Insecure actresses.

Learn to swim.

Cuz I'm praying for rain
And I'm praying for tidal waves
I wanna see the ground give way.
I wanna watch it all go down.
Mum please flush it all away.
I wanna see it go right in and down.
I wanna watch it go right in.
Watch you flush it all away.

Time to bring it down again.
Don't just call me pessimist.
Try and read between the lines.

I can't imagine why you wouldn't
Welcome any change, my friend.

I wanna see it come down.
Come down.
Suck it down.
Flush it down.
Anyway, it is a great song. The thing I love about Tool is their lyrics are up for so many interpretations. This is probably the most straight to the point song they have and even having said that, I doubt anyway except the band members know exactly what their meanings and interpretations of it really are.

Anyway, thought it was neat. :)

Edit: here's the vid if you'd rather just listen :p

[YOUTUBE]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/uCEeAn6_QJo&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/uCEeAn6_QJo&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
Nov 2017
FL Treasure Coast & South Central FL
I'll chime in, even though I don't "claim" to be a Xtian: It is basically a fairy tale, like so many others out there. :cool: