noticing differences in religions

Oct 2012
NC
I've had several religion studies in college and really enjoyed them. I like finding common threads and nuances of differences as well.

Maybe a thread dedicated to that...

One positive I have noticed in other religions is with Buddhism. I've known a couple of Buddhists and I really admired their respect for life. all life.

One friend was Vietnamese and we went to the beach on our lunch break. Down from us a black dude was fishing and caught a fish, unhooked it and threw it on the ground next to him. the fish was clearly too small to keep but the man did not bother to throw it back just left it there gasping. My friend became noticeably upset and started saying under his breath, "he needs to throw it back, its dying..." eventually his murmurings became loud enough for the man to hear , so he kicked the fish back into the surf.

This stuck with me as a kind of objective good to respect all life.

I see it as a positive and something that is lacking in other religions at times, even my own.

Last edited:
Oct 2012
NC
There are more similarities than differences.

They all pretty much think they are superior to all the rest. This causes turmoil, violence, destruction, and death. :confused:

this was an inferior effort at the stated goal of the thread. sure there are similarities, but as stated in thread, I am looking at differences.

Oct 2012
NC
atheist/liberal disconnect:

1. muslims are "all the same" = wrong, racist, simple-minded thinking

2. religions are "all the same" = good, just, educated thinking

there is more diversity in #2, but it is more politically correct to say than #1 where there is less diversity.