NY, NJ looks to unconventional methods to allow voters access to voting

myp

Site Founder
Jan 14, 2009
With the aftermath of Sandy still a major issue, a lot of people in the harder hit areas are still left without essentials let alone the ability to vote in a couple of days. In an effort to make it easier to vote, NJ is allowing votes via email akin to absentee ballots for people overseas and NY is setting up tents where people can go and vote.

more here: http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/11/04/us-storm-sandy-voting-idUSBRE8A301I20121104

I remember reading somewhere earlier this week (can't remember where) about how there is no law that says what to do during an emergency state on election day. There is no law to extend the election or delay it, meaning that if a storm like Sandy hit right on election day, millions of people could potential be kept out of an election which could obviously have an impact.

Thoughts on this?

Oct 25, 2012
Louisville, Ky
I commend the attempts, as I know if I were one of those effected adding insult to injury would be pretty harsh. Funny to watch Florida go out of it's way to make it harder, while NY/NJ do the opposite.

myp

Site Founder
Jan 14, 2009
I commend the attempts, as I know if I were one of those effected adding insult to injury would be pretty harsh. Funny to watch Florida go out of it's way to make it harder, while NY/NJ do the opposite.
Florida has actually had a strong early voting turnout- to the tune of 4 million. What measures did they take to make it harder? I haven't really been following that much.

Oct 25, 2012
Louisville, Ky
Florida has actually had a strong early voting turnout- to the tune of 4 million. What measures did they take to make it harder? I haven't really been following that much.
Pretty much shortened the early voting by half, and took away the Sunday before elections (historic Black Church Day). The people adjusted though so it didn't have a huge effect.

myp

Site Founder
Jan 14, 2009
Pretty much shortened the early voting by half, and took away the Sunday before elections (historic Black Church Day). The people adjusted though so it didn't have a huge effect.
Just saw that apparently some people in FL have stood in lines for 4-6 hours to vote. That is rough and shows dedication.

Jul 26, 2009
Opa Locka
Don't worry, even the Repubs want our governor's head at this point. He'll be shown the door and his BS undone after the next election.