Obama wins Nobel Peace Prize

myp

Jan 2009
President Obama has won the Nobel Peace Prize. Thoughts?

Personally, I think it is absurd considering that Obama has only continued Bush's policies in the region. He has not shown any withdrawal plan for Iraq or any of the other nations where our troops are stationed, he has increased aggressions towards Iran, and he is considering an expansion of the war in Afghanistan. Additionally, the nomination for this award was due in February, which makes it even more crazy considering he was in office for less than a month.

Mar 2009
Undisclosed
President Obama has won the Nobel Peace Prize. Thoughts?

Personally, I think it is absurd considering that Obama has only continued Bush's policies in the region. He has not shown any withdrawal plan for Iraq or any of the other nations where our troops are stationed, he has increased aggressions towards Iran, and he is considering an expansion of the war in Afghanistan. Additionally, the nomination for this award was due in February, which makes it even more crazy considering he was in office for less than a month.
In my opinion it only demeans the Noble Peace Prize.:( What will they give him when he melts down our weapons? They mean no more than the "clunkers" to some people.:(

Apr 2009
Disunited Queendom
Obviously, i'm a dove. But the Nobel Peace prize is a complete bloody joke. I mean, Adolf Hitler, Joseph Stalin and Benito Mussolini were all nominated before. Fascist scum.

And Obama is nothing like a pacifist.

myp

Jan 2009
Obviously, i'm a dove. But the Nobel Peace prize is a complete bloody joke. I mean, Adolf Hitler, Joseph Stalin and Benito Mussolini were all nominated before. Fascist scum.

And Obama is nothing like a pacifist.
Wow, I did not know those three were nominated and honestly, I Googled it just to verify because it seemed so absurd. Very interesting and for the second time today the Nobel Peace Prize committee has lost a lot of credibility in my eyes.

Apr 2009
Disunited Queendom
UPDATE:

Barack Obama said:
I am surprised and deeply humbled...
Barack Obama said:
I do not feel that i deserve to be in the company of so many of the transformative figures who have been honoured by this prize.
Barack Obama will donate his $1.4m reward to charity. None have been specified as yet.

The Taliban have said he should not have been awarded the Nobel Peace Prize, since he had made no steps to finding a peaceful solution in Afghanistan.

Naturally, Karzai, the Western puppet has claimed there are none more deserving.

Every single other Arab leader has said that they hope it will encourage Obama to actually physically take the initiative in fostering peace. There are more general public hopes that Obama will encourage Israel to accept the invitation to talks with Hamas, and that he takes a more diplomatic stance on the Iranian nuclear programme.

Oct 2009
Obama was in office for less than a month, if this doesn't tell you how one sided and biased the Nobel committee really is then I don't know what will. Goddamn I hate that man.

Apr 2009
Disunited Queendom
Obama was in office for less than a month, if this doesn't tell you how one sided and biased the Nobel committee really is then I don't know what will. Goddamn I hate that man.
Why? There's really no need.

I dislike him. I think he's a lying dipstick, out for his own and corporate interests. But that's my view of most politicians.

There's no pretext for hating the man. :rolleyes:

Oct 2009
Why? There's really no need.

I dislike him. I think he's a lying dipstick, out for his own and corporate interests. But that's my view of most politicians.

There's no pretext for hating the man. :rolleyes:
Ok maybe I exaggerated a bit. I really really dislike the man, better?

Mar 2009
Well, first of all it is not Obama's fault that he got the Prize. I wouldn't say that I am a great supporter of his, but when debating this, I believe it has to be aimed at the idiots who gave him the prize, not Obama himself.

I actually feel kind'a sorry for the President, as that is just adding more stress on him and perhaps even expectations of him having to act in certain way, i.e. up to the standard of the Nobel Peace Prize. That may well conflict with some of the decisions that he has to take, such as whether to send more soldiers to Afghanistan for example. I also find it quite condescending for a country like Sweden to judge what the President of the United States is like. Perhaps when he has retired, and he is no longer President, and they fancied some of the stuff they thought had contributed to peace, then that would be OK, but to pass judgment on the President while he has been barely in office, and is struggling with lefties in his own party to make major decisions, this is a dahm nuisance!

Apr 2009
Disunited Queendom
and is struggling with lefties in his own party to make major decisions, this is a damn nuisance!
Yeah. How unreasonable of them! I mean... if politicians actually did something. Hell, it would be the end of civilisation!

Even Obama said that he doesn't deserve this. I agree that we should be blaming the committee, not the President. We blame him for almost everything else, anyway!

What really gets me is that it's awarded to him, not for doing the things he should do, but to encourage him to do the things he should do. What?! That's like giving Usain Bolt the gold medal and telling him it's to encourage him to win the 100m. It's stupid.

(Although, let's face it, you might as well give him the gold medal beforehand - it would save the hassle afterward :p)

Mar 2009
Even Obama said that he doesn't deserve this. I agree that we should be blaming the committee, not the President. We blame him for almost everything else, anyway!
As it should be, isn't that the most important part of the President's job, to be blamed for everything that goes wrong, and the art of ducking all the accusations?

Apr 2009
Disunited Queendom
As it should be, isn't that the most important part of the President's job, to be blamed for everything that goes wrong, and the art of ducking all the accusations?
Yes, absolutely.

Opposition is about asking awkward questions.

Government is about not answering them.

Mar 2009
Government is about not answering them.
Well put! I've been watching a sitcom about the White House and Presidential elections and one of the guys said that the President in effect gets the first 18 months to be the President, then after that he has to campaign for a second term. Looks as though Obama is half-way then. He started very strong with the promises that were centre pieces of his "leftist" campaign, and then followed a very careful centrist path. Obviously the lefties in his Party can't be happy with that. Sooner or later people are going to get much more demanding as well, so wonder at what stage that will be happening, and when his honeymoon phase will be over?

Jul 2009
Port St. Lucie
Well put! I've been watching a sitcom about the White House and Presidential elections and one of the guys said that the President in effect gets the first 18 months to be the President, then after that he has to campaign for a second term. Looks as though Obama is half-way then. He started very strong with the promises that were centre pieces of his "leftist" campaign, and then followed a very careful centrist path. Obviously the lefties in his Party can't be happy with that. Sooner or later people are going to get much more demanding as well, so wonder at what stage that will be happening, and when his honeymoon phase will be over?
The Left hates him for going to the Right. The Right hates him for not being a quasi-fascist (while denying it obviously). I think it's over. :p

Mar 2009
The Left hates him for going to the Right. The Right hates him for not being a quasi-fascist (while denying it obviously). I think it's over. :p
I guess it's not over until it is over. Looks as though he is making headway with the health care legislation again!