Obamas speech to schools

Jan 2013
Delaware
What do you all think about Obamas speech directed at children in which he encourages them to work and study hard as well as submit letters?

Personally, I think it's a bad idea to ask school disctricts to air it. They may as well as just make it another regular address on TV and let them see it on their own time (which they probably won't, but it's not like this is going to be some rousing speech that makes them get straight A's).

And this isn't even targeted at Obama. It was a bad idea when Reagan did it and Bush Sr. did it as well.

Apr 2009
Disunited Queendom
"Obey your glorious and god-like hero, little children"

But seriously, i think there are better things pupils could be doing than watching Obama talking to them. Like learning, for example.

Mar 2009
"Obey your glorious and god-like hero, little children"

But seriously, i think there are better things pupils could be doing than watching Obama talking to them. Like learning, for example.
Well .... I would have thought Obama would have something better to do with his time too. Like for example the economy :confused:

Jan 2009
So you are for Government intervention in the economy then?
Not necessarily- with where we currently are that could just as well mean dismantling useless gov't institutions. With Obama it most probably wouldn't though.

Apr 2009
Disunited Queendom
Not necessarily- with where we currently are that could just as well mean dismantling useless gov't institutions. With Obama it most probably wouldn't though.
It takes two to quango.

Democrats do like their bureacracy, don't they?

Jan 2009
I just don't see it doing much. Didn't seem to generate a lot of buzz and it was just another opening day speech. Unless kids have changed drastically in the last few years, most of them spent their time giggling, making jokes, or sleeping. I doubt a few words from the president will dent student apathy.

I think it would have been better as an evening address for the parents to watch with their student. Would have been a bit more heartwarming, would have encouraged discussion, etc.

Mar 2009
So you are for Government intervention in the economy then?
Definitely not. But I would have imagined that he would have had quite a lot of burning issues to deal with, such as the budget that needs to be presented, GITMO that had been postponed again in May, etc. etc. Obviously Obama decided to do something about his ratings that went down, and now he is marketing like crazy, using speeches, to get his ratings up, and focussin on his party where he had lost some ground with Democrats especially to the left of the political spectrum. They have steadily become disenchanted with his centre right status quo. So while he is working on his own political agenda, and fiddling with speeches, proverbial Rome is burning.

Jul 2009
Opa Locka
Definitely not. But I would have imagined that he would have had quite a lot of burning issues to deal with, such as the budget that needs to be presented, GITMO that had been postponed again in May, etc. etc. Obviously Obama decided to do something about his ratings that went down, and now he is marketing like crazy, using speeches, to get his ratings up, and focussin on his party where he had lost some ground with Democrats especially to the left of the political spectrum. They have steadily become disenchanted with his centre right status quo. So while he is working on his own political agenda, and fiddling with speeches, proverbial Rome is burning.
No my friend, your too early with your metaphor. Proverbial Rome is being sacked by barbarians (and no, thats not a jab at immigrants, simply a note that the Fall of America is upon us).