Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Disagree?

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jun 2013
Earth
Parents have the right to select any name for their child

1. Following are excerpts from the article headlined "Judge reverses decision and allows baby to be named 'Messiah' - National America Now News | Examiner.com"

(Begin excerpts)
According to the Christian Post on Sept. 19, a Tennessee couple will be allowed to name their 8-month old baby "Messiah" after all.

A judge reversed an earlier court order that blocked the name from being used arguing that it was a title reserved solely for Jesus Christ.

The new decision allows the mother and father, Jaleesa Martin and Jawaan McCullough, to name their baby boy "Messiah," reversing Child Support Magistrate Lu Ann Ballew's decision in August to name the baby "Martin DeShawn McCullough" instead..... (End excerpts)

2. "Bottom line, parents, not the government, have the right to select a name for their child,"....

Baby Messiah: Why Court-Ordered Name Change Sparked Outrage

So it seems that parents have the right to select any name for their child including such names as "Cow Dung", "Pig", "Satan" or even "God".

Last edited:
Oct 2012
Louisville, Ky
The Judge used his religious beliefs as the basis for a ruling.

He should be removed from his position immediately.

Feb 2013
just past the moons of Jupiter
I once read a case where a mother named her daughter shithead. Of course she pronounced it differently. Shi- th-aide. But she was ordered by the court to change that name.

I would consider it child abuse to name your kid something like that. Children are not property and could you imagine putting that on a job application.

Some bizarre desire to give kids names more suitable for pets should not come before the person's well being. Yeah you have the right to name your kids what ever you want, but if it is abusive than the people have the right to fem you unfit to be a parent.

Dec 2012
Florida
I once read a case where a mother named her daughter shithead. Of course she pronounced it differently. Shi- th-aide. But she was ordered by the court to change that name.

I would consider it child abuse to name your kid something like that. Children are not property and could you imagine putting that on a job application.

Some bizarre desire to give kids names more suitable for pets should not come before the person's well being. Yeah you have the right to name your kids what ever you want, but if it is abusive than the people have the right to fem you unfit to be a parent.
I disagree. NO, parents should not have the right to name their child ANYTHING. I can think of lots of names that would be grossly harmful to the child (Hitler, Devil, Bin Laden, As-hole, etc). It's not too likely that there would be many of these cases, but how would you (whoever reading this) like to be the unfortunate one being stuck with a name like this. Isn't life tough enough, as it is ?

Oct 2013
Midwest
Where do we draw the line? I went to boot camp with a guy who was named Richard. No problem, right? Wrong! His last name was Head, no joke. If you can't name your kid Messiah then you definitely shouldn't be able to name your kid 'Dick Head'.

Oct 2012
Louisville, Ky
When we as a society, begin to force arbitrary limitations on personal freedoms our society and country inevitably suffer. People do stupid stuff all the time, but that is their choice in this world. A child may be submitted to adverse circumstance because of the actions of parents I se as less than ideal....but Buba is still a citizen of this country, even if I wish he weren't.

These people will self destruct in time.

Dec 2012
Florida
When we as a society, begin to force arbitrary limitations on personal freedoms our society and country inevitably suffer. People do stupid stuff all the time, but that is their choice in this world. A child may be submitted to adverse circumstance because of the actions of parents I se as less than ideal....but Buba is still a citizen of this country, even if I wish he weren't.

These people will self destruct in time.
Self-destructing is one thing. Destroying someone else (particularly a vulnerable child) is another thing entirely.

Jul 2009
Opa Locka
I disagree. NO, parents should not have the right to name their child ANYTHING. I can think of lots of names that would be grossly harmful to the child (Hitler, Devil, Bin Laden, As-hole, etc). It's not too likely that there would be many of these cases, but how would you (whoever reading this) like to be the unfortunate one being stuck with a name like this. Isn't life tough enough, as it is ?
Upon majority, all children should be given a 1 time, 3 month period (their bday + 90 days) to change their name to something of their own choosing for free and without any of the usual legal issues (aside from some sort of gov't issued id to prove they are who they claim to be).