Parliamentary votes of confidence?

Aug 2010
Cliffside Park, NJ

What questions identify questions of confidence for a current parliamentary government?

What determines a vote of confidence in parliamentary systems of government? Surly the prime minister is not bound to call for a national general election whenever any vote in parliament is contrary to the prime minister's preference? What determines if a question brought up for a vote is a question determining prime minister and their cabinet's ministers entitlements to remain in office? It's not entirely determined by the prime minister?

Respectfully, Supposn

Last edited:
Apr 2019
vancouver island

What questions identify questions of confidence for a current parliamentary government?

What determines a vote of confidence in parliamentary systems of government? Surly the prime minister is not bound to call for a national general election whenever any vote in parliament is contrary to the prime minister's preference? What determines if a question brought up for a vote is a question determining prime minister and their cabinet's ministers entitlements to remain in office? It's not entirely determined by the prime minister?

Respectfully, Supposn
In a parliamentary system it's usually any vote by members on a bill proposed by the government party that passes. But the term is hardly ever used. The term preferred is a vote of 'non-confidence' when a government bill is defeated in parliament. This then usually calls for an election.

Hope this answers your question? I won't go on to explain how a minority government works because you may already know.

Aug 2010
Cliffside Park, NJ
... Hope this answers your question? I won't go on to explain how a minority government works because you may already know.
Montgomery, thanks for your response.
how does a majority member's or any member's bill reach the floor for a vote, if the prime-minister's opposed to it being voted upon?

Every majority proposed bill can't be a deal-breaker? What determines what bill constitutes cause for a prime minister to resign and or call for a general election? Can any member propose a vote of no-confidence in any other member which includes the prime minister)? Does such a bill reach the floor in a different manner?

Most of my inadequate knowledge of the British government was derived from movies and documentaries. Please don't assume that I'm knowledgeable in these matters. But I certainly wish to learn. Much of what I know of VAT, (the superior method of administrating general sales taxes), is derived from reading and considering the information provided by HM Revenue and customs.

Respectfully, Supposn

Aug 2010
Cliffside Park, NJ
FYI, Respectfully, Supposn
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
Vagabond63 said: It's quite a long process but here's a link to how it's done Legislative process: taking a Bill through Parliament
Hope that answers your question(s)
Supposn said: Vagabond63, thank you for the link.

What I wish to understand is the process for a vote of confidence to a member or to the Prime Minister's party. How general elections are forced upon the nation (other than the required maximum duration permitted between general elections)?

In the USA, the majority leader of the House of Representatives, (i.e. the Speaker of the House) and the Senate and each generally can prevent any particular proposal from reaching the floor of their respective chambers and voted upon. Does the Prime Minister have similar powers within the Parliament?

Respectfully, Supposn
Vagabond63 said: A motion of no confidence, or censure motion, can be brought before the house by any MP from any party, although it's normally the Leader of the largest opposition party. If such a motion gets a majority of MPs to agree to it, the proposer has 14 calendar days to form a new government that has the support of a majority of MPs. If that's not possible, Parliament is dissolved and an early General Election is triggered

A motion of no confidence is one of only two ways in which an early General Election may be triggered under the terms of the Fixed Term Parliaments Act 2011, the other is a 2/3 majority of MPs demanding a General Election.
Supposn said: Vagabond63, you've clearly provided me with answers that I have not received from anyone before.
I'm grateful for the information. Respectfully, Supposn

Apr 2019
vancouver island
Montgomery, thanks for your response.
how does a majority member's or any member's bill reach the floor for a vote, if the prime-minister's opposed to it being voted upon?

Every majority proposed bill can't be a deal-breaker? What determines what bill constitutes cause for a prime minister to resign and or call for a general election? Can any member propose a vote of no-confidence in any other member which includes the prime minister)? Does such a bill reach the floor in a different manner?

Most of my inadequate knowledge of the British government was derived from movies and documentaries. Please don't assume that I'm knowledgeable in these matters. But I certainly wish to learn. Much of what I know of VAT, (the superior method of administrating general sales taxes), is derived from reading and considering the information provided by HM Revenue and customs.

Respectfully, Supposn
I think your questions have been answered by Vagabond already but if not then please ask again. In any case it appears that this forum is now practically dead and so if I don't see at least a few posts a day, I'll be leaving it too.

Aug 2010
Cliffside Park, NJ
Vagabond63 your little friend in your closet? Not such person here!
PaulSmith69, I neglected to introduce my little friend, Vagabond63. When I failed to obtain answers within Political Fray, I sought answers from another internet group. Vagabond63 provided the answer I passed on to Political Fray.

Respectfully, Supposn

Dec 2018
Tempe, AZ
PaulSmith69, I neglected to introduce my little friend, Vagabond63. When I failed to obtain answers within Political Fray, I sought answers from another internet group. Vagabond63 provided the answer I passed on to Political Fray.

Respectfully, Supposn