philosophical quotes

Oct 2012
NC
excessive frugality equals greed and fear and points to a displacement of what really matters in life with what doesn't matter at all.

-arcturus88

Oct 2012
NC
Friendship is unnecessary, like philosophy, like art... It has no survival value; rather it is one of those things that give value to survival.

- C. S. Lewis

Oct 2012
NC
"I am sure there never was a people, who had more reason to acknowledge a divine interposition in their affairs, than those of the United States; and I should be pained to believe, that they have forgotten that agency, which was so often manifested during our revolution, or that they failed to consider the omnipotence of that God, who is alone able to protect them"

-George Washington

Oct 2012
NC
There is a Taoist story of an old farmer who had worked his crops for many years. One day his horse ran away. Upon hearing the news, his neighbors came to visit. "Such bad luck," they said sympathetically.
"Maybe," the farmer replied. The next morning the horse returned, bringing with it three other wild horses. "How wonderful," the neighbors exclaimed.
"Maybe," replied the old man. The following day, his son tried to ride one of the untamed horses, was thrown, and broke his leg. The neighbors again came to offer their sympathy on his misfortune. "Maybe," answered the farmer. The day after, military officials came to the village to draft young men into the army. Seeing that the son's leg was broken, they passed him by. The neighbors congratulated the farmer on how well things had turned out. "Maybe," said the farmer.
:rolleyes:

Oct 2012
NC
“The person with a secular mentality feels himself to be the center of the universe. Yet he is likely to suffer from a sense of meaninglessness and insignificance because he knows he’s but one human among five billion others - all feeling themselves to be the center of things - scratching out an existence on the surface of a medium-sized planet circling a small star among countless stars in a galaxy lost among countless galaxies. The person with the sacred mentality, on the other hand, does not feel herself to be the center of the universe. She considers the Center to be elsewhere and other. Yet she is unlikely to feel lost or insignificant precisely because she draws her significance and meaning from her relationship, her connection, with that center, that Other.”

- M. Scott Peck

Oct 2012
Louisville, Ky
“The person with a secular mentality feels himself to be the center of the universe. Yet he is likely to suffer from a sense of meaninglessness and insignificance because he knows he’s but one human among five billion others - all feeling themselves to be the center of things - scratching out an existence on the surface of a medium-sized planet circling a small star among countless stars in a galaxy lost among countless galaxies. The person with the sacred mentality, on the other hand, does not feel herself to be the center of the universe. She considers the Center to be elsewhere and other. Yet she is unlikely to feel lost or insignificant precisely because she draws her significance and meaning from her relationship, her connection, with that center, that Other.”

- M. Scott Peck
The logical individual has a realists mentality, and knows he is but one unique creature in a Universe to large for him to understand. This allows for the acceptance of inevitable death and decay without feeling the need to miss the life he lives. Instead he lives it in full, watching closely as it winds down the road of adventure and inevitability.

~tecoyah

Oct 2012
NC
this runs counter to my misanthropic thinking but I like it nonetheless:

There is always more goodness in the world than there appears to be, because goodness is of its very nature modest and retiring.

-Evelyn Beatrice Hall

Oct 2012
NC
For more than a century ideological extremists at either end of the political spectrum have seized upon well-publicized incidents such as my encounter with Castro to attack the Rockefeller family for the inordinate influence they claim we wield over American political and economic institutions. Some even believe we are part of a secret cabal working against the best interests of the United States, characterizing my family and me as 'internationalists' and of conspiring with others around the world to build a more integrated global political and economic structure--one world, if you will. If that's the charge, I stand guilty, and I am proud of it.

-David Rockefeller

Nov 2016
Victoria, BC
'
Toutes les difficultés de l’homme viennent de son incapacité à s’asseoir tranquillement dans une pièce en sa seule compagnie.

All the problems of man arise from his inability to sit quietly in a room in his own company.

Nov 2016
Victoria, BC
'
Μάλα γὰρ φιλοσόφου τοῦτο τὸ πάθος, τὸ θαυμάζειν‧ ου γὰρ άλλη αρχὴ φιλοσοφίᾱς ὴ ἁύτη. ---Plato, Theaetetus

[Wonder is what the philosopher experiences most; for there is no other beginning of philosophy than this]

Oct 2012
NC
In the 21st century, white America got a wake-up call after 9/11/01. White America and the western world came to realize that people of color had not gone away, faded into the woodwork or just 'disappeared' as the Great White West kept on its merry way of ignoring black concerns.

- Jeremiah Wright (Obama's pre-presidential pastor)