Pope washes feet of young Muslim woman

Jul 2009
Port St. Lucie
I'm generally anti-Christian but this pope is really starting to win me over.

Mar 2013
Carson City, Nevada
Its good he loves the youth. He could use follow other ways to show affection. Things still wait for the innocent child of Afghanistan, Iraq and Palestine to be done.

Oct 2012
Louisville, Ky
I am not saying a certain amount of humbleness is a bad thing. But excessive "anything" is bad. One should never go to extremes. Moderation is the key.

Absolutely agree....most of an Atheist mindset do as well (from my experience). Few really much care, unless confronted by the devout.
;)

Jul 2009
Port St. Lucie
I think the Catholic Church is desperate - they are losing membership left & right.

My wife (Catholic) was upset when last Pope resigned, because she thinks according to "prophecy" that the new Pontiff is the very last Pope. I don't disagree, but what I disagree with, is that the Armageddon is coming during his term.

I personally think that the Catholic Church will just go "out of business" due to rapidly dropping attendance rates, so that bankruptcy is their only option.
The ironic thing is that pagan religions are growing while Catholothism (and Christianity in general) collapses, at least in America. I don't care what your religious views are, if you can't see the poetic justice, something is wrong. :p

Aug 2012
North Texas
I am not saying a certain amount of humbleness is a bad thing. But excessive "anything" is bad. One should never go to extremes. Moderation is the key.
I've never known a Christian to preach a moderate view of God, Jesus or the Trinity.

What I have seen are Christians who claim to be Christians, but who only "talk the talk, not walk the walk".

Aug 2012
North Texas
The ironic thing is that pagan religions are growing while Catholothism (and Christianity in general) collapses, at least in America. I don't care what your religious views are, if you can't see the poetic justice, something is wrong. :p
There should be no doubt Christianity is both the dominant religion of the USA and will remain so for the foreseeable future. What the present day Protestants representing the Religious Right in the USA don't realize is that the most likely Christian religion in America's future is Catholicism. That and the fastest growing religion in the world - Islam.

Jul 2009
Port St. Lucie
There should be no doubt Christianity is both the dominant religion of the USA and will remain so for the foreseeable future. What the present day Protestants representing the Religious Right in the USA don't realize is that the most likely Christian religion in America's future is Catholicism. That and the fastest growing religion in the world - Islam.
Protestantism is in rapid decline but so is Catholithism, it's numbers kept up only by (slowing) immigration from Latin America. So I'll have to disagree and say christianity will be a minor religion inside 200 years. Atheism, Islam and possibly Mormonism is America's future. If things don't change, the Wiccans will also likely be a large minority, 143% growth rate between 1990-2001, the latest report on religious growth I could find.

Aug 2012
North Texas
Protestantism is in rapid decline but so is Catholithism, it's numbers kept up only by (slowing) immigration from Latin America. So I'll have to disagree and say christianity will be a minor religion inside 200 years. Atheism, Islam and possibly Mormonism is America's future. If things don't change, the Wiccans will also likely be a large minority, 143% growth rate between 1990-2001, the latest report on religious growth I could find.
Since Hispanics are projected to constitute a third of the population by 2050 coupled with your/my prediction that whites will draw away from religious dogma, I foresee Catholicism being the dominant religion.

Just so I am clear, being non-dogmatic doesn't mean a person is an atheist. I'm non-dogmatic, but I believe there is a spiritual component to existence.

U.S. Hispanic population to triple by 2050 - USATODAY.com
The U.S. population will soar to 438 million by 2050 and the Hispanic population will triple, according to projections released Monday by the Pew Research Center.
The latest projections by the non-partisan research group are higher than government estimates to date and paint a portrait of an America dramatically different from today's.

The projected growth in the U.S. population — 303 million today — will be driven primarily by immigration among all groups except the elderly.

"We're assuming that the rate of immigration will stay roughly constant," says Jeffrey Passel, co-author of the report.

Even if immigration is limited, Hispanics' share of the population will increase because they have higher birth rates than the overall population. That's largely because Hispanic immigrants are younger than the nation's aging baby boom population. By 2030, all 79 million boomers will be at least 65 and the elderly will grow faster than any other age group.
Statistics on Religion in America Report -- Pew Forum on Religion & Public Life

Jul 2009
Port St. Lucie
Yes but in Latin American Catholothism is falling apart while Protestantism is surging. There's a reason they elected a Argentinian pope, they're trying to stop the hemorrhaging. So I'm still saying Catholothism crashes and burns same as Protestantism once Catholic immigration stops keeping them afloat (I say 50 years).

Aug 2012
North Texas
Yes but in Latin American Catholothism is falling apart while Protestantism is surging. There's a reason they elected a Argentinian pope, they're trying to stop the hemorrhaging. So I'm still saying Catholothism crashes and burns same as Protestantism once Catholic immigration stops keeping them afloat (I say 50 years).
We'll see.

In the end, I think it's the dogmatic nature of some churches that are driving away members. When church dogma such as creationism or gays going to Hell crosses paths with what people see and learn for themselves, the conflict forces people to choose. Most, IMO, will choose to go with what they know to be true: Evidence of evolution is prevalent and a truly loving, all merciful God wouldn't punish someone for being born gay.