President Obama pledges energy bill push amidst BP spill talk

Apr 2009
Disunited Queendom
Why doesn't he just build a couple EGS plants? Energy crisis solved. And it's sustainable, cheap, green, etc.

Apr 2010
As BP continues to deal with the oil spill in the gulf, pressure has increased for both the company as well as the White House. Today, President Obama pledged to push an energy bill that would reduce tax breaks for oil companies among other things.
That's not going to do anything to solve the problem at hand. On the plus side, its only the US that suffering as a result of this oil leak. In fact that's probably the only reason its daily news in the US. If this was a BP leak in Venezuela, it wouldn't be a major topic of discussion.

Alternative forms of energy are fine. Just limit big oil's political contributions in the US, and sponsor green energy initiatives. And therein lies the problem, as he who pays the piper calls the tune.

Dec 2009
Canada
He should have even if BP's spill didn't happen. Renewable energy is the future (whether it be wind, solar, hydroelectric, or whatever). It's really a lack of progression which is putting the United States (and Canada) behind. We have so much wind here but we hardly harness it.

myp

Jan 2009
He should have even if BP's spill didn't happen. Renewable energy is the future (whether it be wind, solar, hydroelectric, or whatever). It's really a lack of progression which is putting the United States (and Canada) behind. We have so much wind here but we hardly harness it.
Other forms of energy do need more consideration, but wind isn't a good option in my opinion. It just doesn't produce enough power. I remember reading something about how it takes 20 years just to make up for the energy needed to make the physical windmill itself!

Jun 2010
Cleveland Ohio
I said it before.. Manhattan Style Project for a clean CHEAP (or free) fuel source. Not something sold by corporations I want the government to fund it and the motivation to be betterment of the world NOT profits.

Do it.

myp

Jan 2009
I said it before.. Manhattan Style Project for a clean CHEAP (or free) fuel source. Not something sold by corporations I want the government to fund it and the motivation to be betterment of the world NOT profits.

Do it.
And what makes you think government will do it with no special interest motives either? Remember, government is run by politicians who need money to win elections. Best option- let the market do it and for once keep the government OUT. A lot of the corporate recklessness we have seen of late is the result of government providing insurance and moral hazards.

Dec 2009
Canada
Other forms of energy do need more consideration, but wind isn't a good option in my opinion. It just doesn't produce enough power. I remember reading something about how it takes 20 years just to make up for the energy needed to make the physical windmill itself!
As I said, doesn't have to be wind. Hydroelectric, for example, has a 95% efficiency rate and hardly causes pollution. For something like that, you just have to find a way that can minimalize the disturbance of wildlife. Or why not waste-to-energy? The byproducts are much less harmful to the environment than the gases and the pollution the waste would cause and it's also an alternative to a landfill.