Racism in reverse?

Mar 2009
Recently when Wilson made his big protest about Obama being "a liar", Democrats protested (which they should have as that was ugly), but at the same time called Wilson a racist. An accusation like this has happened a number of times after Obama took office. Like with the Tea Parties, or anyone thinking differently, they are automatically accused of being racists. Isn't this really racism in reverse though, in that since the country has a President, who happens to be black, that every contrary view would be by definition considered to be racism?

Mar 2009
Undisclosed
Recently when Wilson made his big protest about Obama being "a liar", Democrats protested (which they should have as that was ugly), but at the same time called Wilson a racist. An accusation like this has happened a number of times after Obama took office. Like with the Tea Parties, or anyone thinking differently, they are automatically accused of being racists. Isn't this really racism in reverse though, in that since the country has a President, who happens to be black, that every contrary view would be by definition considered to be racism?
I agree. Look at all the nasty things they said about Bush! Double standard now!:mad:

Mar 2009
Pretty much it comes down to something to the effect of "I'm not racist, I'm an asshole to everyone."

As much as I dislike true racism, I think the race card gets played a little too much these days.

Jan 2009
Pretty much it comes down to something to the effect of "I'm not racist, I'm an asshole to everyone."
Are you describing the tea partiers as this? If so, that really isn't a fair assessment considering there are strong beliefs and ideas behind those protests- it isn't simply blind deterrence.

As for the race card, it really is a desperate plea that the left is using when others don't conform to their beliefs. The people opposing them, me included are not doing so based on race (the vast majority isn't)- it is because we believe that there is something fundamentally wrong with the things they are proposing. We have facts and we have strong beliefs, but the does not mean we are racists.

Mar 2009
Are you describing the tea partiers as this? If so, that really isn't a fair assessment considering there are strong beliefs and ideas behind those protests- it isn't simply blind deterrence.
No, no, just in general. If someone's rude to someone of a different race, it doesn't automatically mean they are racist... they could just be rude to everyone - but that doesn't mean there won't be people yelling "racist!"

Jan 2009
No, no, just in general. If someone's rude to someone of a different race, it doesn't automatically mean they are racist... they could just be rude to everyone - but that doesn't mean there won't be people yelling "racist!"
Oh ok, I wasn't sure what you were saying, but yes now that you have explained it I agree with you.

Apr 2009
Disunited Queendom
I think the accusations of "racist" flying thick and fast are probably just finding something to utilise when others have different views (how terrible). All this political correctness crap just exacerbates the whole thing. Yes, of course there truly are racists out there, but much of this is a tool of authoritarianism, in my opinion. A means to restrict freedom of speech.

And myp, I resent that.

Sep 2009
Scotland
Obama responded to this himself, didn't he? By saying he "was black before they elected" him and that it is expected whenever change is instituted, certain people will react badly...

He doesn't appear to care much about it.

Apr 2009
Disunited Queendom
Obama responded to this himself, didn't he? By saying he "was black before they elected" him and that it is expected whenever change is instituted, certain people will react badly...

What change? The only thing that seems to have changed is the appearance of the guy in charge.

Mar 2009

I just thought the other way round, he was not black before he got elected, but then he was made into black because of the colour of his skin.