Romney pays 15% income tax ... Half of what a working man pays

Mar 2009
Undisclosed
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/buffett-blames-congress-romneys-15-155000898.html

Last paragraph from above news article.

"He makes his money the same way I make my money," Buffett said. "He makes money by moving around big bucks, not by straining his back or going to work and cleaning toilets or whatever it may be. He makes it shoving around money."

Romney understands the working class :)
Vote for him !!
I will if he is the candidate in November. I will hold my nose and vote for anyone other than O'bama.

Aug 2011
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/buffett-blames-congress-romneys-15-155000898.html

Last paragraph from above news article.

"He makes his money the same way I make my money," Buffett said. "He makes money by moving around big bucks, not by straining his back or going to work and cleaning toilets or whatever it may be. He makes it shoving around money."

Romney understands the working class :)
Vote for him !!
50% of americans pay NO income tax, including lots of working men.

Lots of other taxes

50% of americans pay NO income tax, including lots of working men.
What about payroll tax, property tax, sales tax, government fees (i:e, driver's licence), gasoline taxes, park fees, school taxes, school supplies, etcetera? Just because you aren't paying income tax doesn't mean you aren't paying plenty of everyday taxes. That means Romney gets an even bigger break, because he again tends to pay a lower percentage of such taxes (for instance, payroll tax is only up to $100,000 earned per year).

Mar 2009
Undisclosed
What about payroll tax, property tax, sales tax, government fees (i:e, driver's licence), gasoline taxes, park fees, school taxes, school supplies, etcetera? Just because you aren't paying income tax doesn't mean you aren't paying plenty of everyday taxes. That means Romney gets an even bigger break, because he again tends to pay a lower percentage of such taxes (for instance, payroll tax is only up to $100,000 earned per year).
I agree on that. But some of Romney's money comes from money he already paid tax on when he made it. Even ol Newt don't want Romney paying more tax.:p

Aug 2011
What about all those taxes??? You think government should magically provide schools, police, fire departments, and highways for free? People who have kids in school should be paying ALL the cost of education. In absolute amount, Romney pays a HUGE amount of taxes. Where does this idea come from that the rich should pay a higher percentage? Reduced to its essence, it's "Duhhhhh.......you got a lot of money, and there's things I want but can't pay for, so .......duhhhhhhh.......government should rip you off and give it to me! Duh!"

Jan 2009
What about all those taxes??? You think government should magically provide schools, police, fire departments, and highways for free? People who have kids in school should be paying ALL the cost of education. In absolute amount, Romney pays a HUGE amount of taxes. Where does this idea come from that the rich should pay a higher percentage? Reduced to its essence, it's "Duhhhhh.......you got a lot of money, and there's things I want but can't pay for, so .......duhhhhhhh.......government should rip you off and give it to me! Duh!"
Skeptic didn't say those taxes shouldn't exist, you just assumed that. As a percentage, Romney surely pays less than some of the people in that middle or lower income class.

As for the idea of why the rich should pay more (on a marginal basis)- how about the marginal utility of money?

Aug 2011
Skeptic didn't say those taxes shouldn't exist, you just assumed that.
I DIDN'T assume that. I took issue with his (apparent) gripe that people who aren't rich still have to pay some kinds of taxes.

As a percentage, Romney surely pays less than some of the people in that middle or lower income class.
That's debateable, because apparently his income is investment income, most of which is taxed twice - at the corporate level and the investor level - people "forget" about the "twice". Also, I asked why should rich people pay a higher percentage? People repeat that like some sort of religious mantra.

As for the idea of why the rich should pay more (on a marginal basis)- how about the marginal utility of money?
How about it??

Jan 2009
That's debateable, because apparently his income is investment income, most of which is taxed twice - at the corporate level and the investor level - people "forget" about the "twice".
Romney does not pay both ends. Also, the taxed twice thing is a matter of perspective. If you hire a contractor to work on your house, the income you use was already taxed and the income he makes is also taxed. Some might say that is the same thing. Either way, Romney himself is not paying double.

Also, I asked why should rich people pay a higher percentage? People repeat that like some sort of religious mantra.
Maybe you should stop repeating all of your arguments for everything like religious mantra. Why should they not pay a higher percentage? I already gave you a reason for why they should- the marginal utility of money.

Aug 2011
Romney does not pay both ends. Also, the taxed twice thing is a matter of perspective. If you hire a contractor to work on your house, the income you use was already taxed and the income he makes is also taxed. Some might say that is the same thing.
Only if they were imbeciles. :p The wage income the contractor gets is taxed ONCE. It doesn't affect him in any way that the money somone paid him has already been taxed - he didn't pay that tax. Romney DOES in effect pay tax twice - >>HIS<< returns are diminished twice.