Some states seek to block mandatory health insurance

Jan 2009
Several states with large populations against the proposed health care reform bill are currently seeking to pass laws which would essentially block the Federal health insurance mandate. The proposals would allow citizens of the state to buy their own insurance without any penalties against those who refuse to purchase it.

full story: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100201...DeW5faGVhZGxpbmVfbGlzdARzbGsDc3RhdGVzc2Vla2lu

Personally, I think this is a great move by the states and a much-needed push against the Federal government. Even if one supports universal health care or universal insurance, I believe that they should push those ideas through state legislatures instead of through the Federal government as per the Constitution. Thoughts?

Apr 2009
Disunited Queendom
Well, i don't think it should be mandatory, if it must be by this system he proposes (which is a stupid way of doing it - this coming from a supporter of universal healthcare), merely available to all.

That way idiots can have the freedom to do what comes naturally. ;)

Mar 2009
Several states with large populations against the proposed health care reform bill are currently seeking to pass laws which would essentially block the Federal health insurance mandate. The proposals would allow citizens of the state to buy their own insurance without any penalties against those who refuse to purchase it.

full story: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100201...DeW5faGVhZGxpbmVfbGlzdARzbGsDc3RhdGVzc2Vla2lu

Personally, I think this is a great move by the states and a much-needed push against the Federal government. Even if one supports universal health care or universal insurance, I believe that they should push those ideas through state legislatures instead of through the Federal government as per the Constitution. Thoughts?
I totally agree with this. I wish they could do that on a Federal level though, allow States to sort out their own health insurance, like the State of Massuchusetts has already accomplished. People should have the right to choose to be part of the Government Plan or to have their own plan. Private practitioners should also have the right to be contracted in or contracted out of the Government Plan.

Aug 2010
Cliffside Park, NJ

MYP, get over it; the U.S. Supreme Court has adjudicated the matter. Patient Protection Affordable Care Act is constitutional.

Unless purchase of insurance is mandated, medical insurance plans that are effectively prohibited from considering an applicant’s prior medical condition, cannot be both affordable and sustainable without substantial financial subsidies.

If Republicans succeed to eliminate or sufficiently undermine the Affordable Care Act, they will, (at very least), cause USA’s sooner adoption of a federal single payer basic medical insurance. Unfortunately, their successful strivings could cause USA adopting a national policy of socialized medicine.

I’m a proponent of federal paying all individual patient’s annual catastrophic medical expenses. That would be to the best interests of USA’s patients and taxpayers. Refer to the thread
http://politicalfray.com/government-politics/7057-catastrophic-medical-insurance.html

Respectfully, Supposn

Last edited:
Aug 2010
Cliffside Park, NJ
It is available now! Folks need to get off their duff and get it, rather than the Feds FORCING it on them, or waiting to mooch off the Fed. gov't.!
Aufgeblassen, no, the proposed federal catastrophic medical insurance as described within the linked thread does not exist. Respectfully, Supposn