State legislatures to Feds: stay out of education

Jan 2009
State legislatures recently expressed discontent with the proposed education reform plan in Washington. Many states are worried about the overreaching hand of the Federal government, especially in areas such as education. In light of Federal policies such as "No Child Left Behind," it is quite understandable why states would want to keep power over education.

Story: http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6100S920100201

I think this is a great story as I am a firm believer in states' rights as opposed to Federal government rights. How does everyone else feel about this?

Mar 2009
I think this is a great story as I am a firm believer in states' rights as opposed to Federal government rights. How does everyone else feel about this?
Agreed, I am a firm believer too. Wonder however whether the Federal Government is trying to bribe States to subscribe to their interference by their allocation of funds, i.e. carrot method alongside their federal regulations. I hope the States will resist, and perhaps even have a united front in creating clear boundaries.

State legislatures recently expressed discontent with the proposed education reform plan in Washington. Many states are worried about the overreaching hand of the Federal government, especially in areas such as education. In light of Federal policies such as "No Child Left Behind," it is quite understandable why states would want to keep power over education.

Story: http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6100S920100201

All I know is that since the fed instituted the Dept. of Education our scores worldwide have fallen steadily each year. Once we were #1 and now we are last in the thirty countries tested.

I think the fed should get out of education and allow each state to run their own education system as they did before.

I'm concerned about so many high schools allowing kids to dumb down to lower courses just so they can graduate thus creating a higher graduate percentage, which means nothing in the end.

Jul 2009
Opa Locka
All I know is that since the fed instituted the Dept. of Education our scores worldwide have fallen steadily each year. Once we were #1 and now we are last in the thirty countries tested.

I think the fed should get out of education and allow each state to run their own education system as they did before.

I'm concerned about so many high schools allowing kids to dumb down to lower courses just so they can graduate thus creating a higher graduate percentage, which means nothing in the end.

Prior to PE, the literary rate in America was quite low outside the upper class. Most lower class types that rose to power like President Lincoln did so only because they self-taught. We need better teachers, not schools that the poor (most of America) can't afford to go to.

Mar 2009
Yeah ...! Now you are talking. And also allow the States to compete with one another, like the Math Olympics etc. But definitely States should be responsible for their own Education Departments, as education would also differ from one State to another. Also agreed, math scores are going down, and I think that has a lot to do with shortage and lower standard of math teaching.