Study: cell phone bans don't reduce crashes

Jan 2009
A recent study has come up with the conclusion that cell phone bans don't reduce crashes. It is certainly an interesting idea in light of the push towards cell phone bans for drivers. The study found that the real issue is with distractions in general and that banning cell phones does not do anything to solve that, even though they are one source of distraction.

link: http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/l...phone-bans-don_t-reduce-crashes-82988542.html

Mar 2009
Undisclosed
A recent study has come up with the conclusion that cell phone bans don't reduce crashes. It is certainly an interesting idea in light of the push towards cell phone bans for drivers. The study found that the real issue is with distractions in general and that banning cell phones does not do anything to solve that, even though they are one source of distraction.

link: http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/l...phone-bans-don_t-reduce-crashes-82988542.html
Personally don't think using cell phones while driving is a good idea. But are we going to "outlaw" music,eating, children and of course spouses while driving? But I do think reading and putting on makeup (man or woman)should be treated the same as DWI.:)

Mar 2009
"A new study finds that laws banning hand-held cell phone use while driving have not reduced the number of auto accidents in the District or elsewhere."

The problem isn't with holding a cell phone, it's the distraction of talking to someone that isn't in the car with you. If you're talking to someone in the car, they can see when you need to focus, unlike when talking to someone on the phone. I don't have the reference but it was a psych study done at Queens U.

Jan 2009
The problem isn't with holding a cell phone, it's the distraction of talking to someone that isn't in the car with you. If you're talking to someone in the car, they can see when you need to focus, unlike when talking to someone on the phone. I don't have the reference but it was a psych study done at Queens U.
That is an interesting point, but then the question of whether the phone bans are worth it rises again. For example, if it is the talking that causes the distraction, then should talking to passengers in the car also be banned? Doesn't seem like a very plausible thing to do as it would be virtually impossible to enforce it.

Personally, I am not sure where I fall on this issue just yet, but I do know that I am against any such Federal bans in the United States as per the Constitution. Would much rather leave it to the states, as is the case with these laws right now.

Mar 2009
I don't know how they could have come up with those findings, as I have seen so many cases of people using their cell phones, and immediately veering out of their lanes, or slowing down, or doing strange things. I agree however also that if cell phones are banned, then it should also be illegal to be eating or drinking, or to occupy your hands with anything else than the steering wheel or driving control systems. I've heard there are even people sending texts on their mobile phones while they are driving!

Jan 2010
Italy
I don't know how they could have come up with those findings, as I have seen so many cases of people using their cell phones, and immediately veering out of their lanes, or slowing down, or doing strange things. I agree however also that if cell phones are banned, then it should also be illegal to be eating or drinking, or to occupy your hands with anything else than the steering wheel or driving control systems. I've heard there are even people sending texts on their mobile phones while they are driving!
I agree with this. I'll admit I've never seen someone cause an accident with a cell phone. But, I've been behind someone on one, and they drive slower, they don't drive normally, and they are less likely to use a turn signal. If they can't pay attention to the normalities of driving like these examples, then its just a matter of time. In the U.S. we've had some nasty car crashes that were attributed to cell phone (especially texting) and also we've had some public transport accidents involving trains in places like Boston and Los Angeles that were directly attributed to texting. While talking is surely bad enough, I think texting is definitely bad.

Mar 2009
That is an interesting point, but then the question of whether the phone bans are worth it rises again. For example, if it is the talking that causes the distraction, then should talking to passengers in the car also be banned? Doesn't seem like a very plausible thing to do as it would be virtually impossible to enforce it.
Well I guess the difference is passengers can see the situation you are in and can hold the conversation in the case that you need to focus (heavy traffic or what not) whereas people on a phone will keep talking and you'll try to keep up with the conversation. I didn't actually read the whole study so I can't really say what explanations they gave.