Tens of Thousands Rally Against Putin's Rule

Mar 2009
Undisclosed
By LYNN BERRY Associated Press
MOSCOW February 4, 2012 (AP)

Their frozen breath rising in the brutally frigid air, tens of thousands of protesters marched through downtown Moscow on Saturday to keep up the pressure on Prime Minister Vladimir Putin one month before a presidential election that could extend his rule for six more years.

http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/tens-thousands-rally-putin-15512301#.Ty1o88jIZbw

I never thought Putin would let this happen.

Jan 2012
Good for the Russians! Putin needs to realise that Russians are smarter than he's given them credit for, and that Putin finally receives some opposition is about time!

Jul 2009
Port St. Lucie
Good for the Russians! Putin needs to realise that Russians are smarter than he's given them credit for, and that Putin finally receives some opposition is about time!
Even with the core of that opposition being the Reds and Whites?

Jan 2012
Not saying all opposition is good opposition, but I support it when it's directed towards Putin and his corrupt tendencies which has to come to an end.

Jul 2009
Port St. Lucie
Not saying all opposition is good opposition, but I support it when it's directed towards Putin and his corrupt tendencies which has to come to an end.
But as I said it's the core of the opposition. If Putin falls ether the Communist Party (the more likely outcome) or a Czar will rule.

Jan 2012
But as I said it's the core of the opposition. If Putin falls ether the Communist Party (the more likely outcome) or a Czar will rule.
Rather Czar than Putin. The Putin rule has just turned Russia into another aggressor in the world.

Mar 2009
Undisclosed
There is that outside chance that they will draft David and Dodge to take over.:unsure::p

Jul 2009
Port St. Lucie
There is that outside chance that they will draft David and Dodge to take over.:unsure::p
lol If I was Russian I'd be a Communist. Putin would hate that, the other 80% of Russians would worship me (at 1st) for restoring the USSR. :p

Jan 2012
lol If I was Russian I'd be a Communist. Putin would hate that, the other 80% of Russians would worship me (at 1st) for restoring the USSR. :p
Do you really believe the Russians miss the USSR and the communist era that much?

Feb 2012
England
I feel like I'm on a constant re-quote of myself, but here goes. Do you have any source to back that up? :)
In Slovakia, there are many people who miss the pre Velvet Revolution days. My Slovak friend told me this.

Jan 2012
Some people will of course always miss "the good old days". I have a Russian friend from Irkutsk, she's not really that happy about what Russia is like today, which is quite understandable, but she really does not wanna go back to the USSR days. It's logic, if Russia did, they would eventually fall apart again and go through the same sh** they've encountered the past 20 years.

Jul 2009
Port St. Lucie
Some people will of course always miss "the good old days". I have a Russian friend from Irkutsk, she's not really that happy about what Russia is like today, which is quite understandable, but she really does not wanna go back to the USSR days. It's logic, if Russia did, they would eventually fall apart again and go through the same sh** they've encountered the past 20 years.
Maybe but that isn't stopping the breakaway republics from trying to rejoin.

Jan 2012
They rejoined in '96. lol
Lukashenko has made that happen for them, and see how that's working out for them. Less freedom of speech, more governmental control (not in a good way), dodgy elections and people just POOF disappearing everywhere. It's actually very much like China come to think of it.

Jan 2012
Iowa-Nebraska border
Russia is recovering from the chaos of the post Soviet collapse, and a class or Russians has more money to spend than it has in its history. Many of these people want to live in relative freedom as we in the West do. As many as three million Russians plan to move to the US, Canada, and other Russian countries, according to an article linked to the Drudge Report.

Obviously it isn't a true picture of a nation, but if you google MK Flashmob, Moscow, October 31, 2009 HD on Youtube you will see a production with two hundred amature dancers and three professionals who trained them in a Moscow shopping mall. They chose mostly American songs, and the old woman watching could be meant to symbolize the past. Or then again maybe not.