the experience of changing one's mind

Oct 7, 2012
NC
Please describe a time that you changed your opinion about something or someone? How did it happen? what moved you to another opinion about the thing?

I will submit my entry at a later time.

Oct 7, 2012
NC
i used to hate pit-bulls and aggressive breeds of dogs. the reason is largely experience. i grew up in a relatively poor neighborhood and often you'd see those dogs running around loose.

once i was harrased by a large white german shepard type dog as a kid. my mom asked me to deliver some cookies to a neighbor as a gift. i ended up using the bag of cookies to keep the dog from biting me. they were crumbs by the time they arrived. a neighbor lady came out and kept me from getting bit as well and she was bit on the butt by the dog.

once i was playing "hide and go seek" with my brother and running around my house and jumped our fence dividing our front yard from our rear yard. i heard a noise and the next ting i knew a pit-bull had latched on to my butt. i fell back on him and managed to free his grip.

a year or so later that same pit bull got out and mauled a younger child's arm while the kid just just screamed.

a few years ago my brother was attacked by two huge rottweilers while he was jogging. in all of these cases the owners were unrepentant.

so this is where i was with dogs....then the change....

i'm hiking in the mountains in hawaii and i got somewhat lost, i found a way out and i'm near large highway with cars racing around the corner. as they come around the corner, they are swerving because there is a dog walking in the road. a pit-bull mix.

i'm not wanting to get bit but i'm also not wanting to see this dog get killed. i whistled at her and called her to me. she came to me with tail between its legs. i grabbed its collar and walked it to the side, off the road. i'm beat, just did a several hour hike and know i have this dog to content with. i looked at its collar and saw it had a number and a gps device; it was a boar hunting dog. yes they do that here.

i called the number and it's a disconnected number. finally i wave down a hippie couple who lets me and the dog ride in the back of their pick-up and they take us to the humane society. i drop the dog off and tell them to call me if the owner does not show or if they can't find anyone to take her. they never called.

it was a sweet dog and was never aggressive with me. it seemed to like me and gathered that i wanted to help it.

this is how my opnion changed about "aggressive dogs". i don't hate them. theyre just animals who got what they got honestly (be it a sh*tty owner or what have you).

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2012
Louisville, Ky
I used to think it was best to shower (every other day) at night when I was working a 9-5 job, but since retired, I don't seem to have the energy to at night, so the morning it is. Unless we are at Camp Florida in the RV, in which case I never do (except for washing hair), when using the pool daily! :D

I even take a break between showering & shaving (i.e. lying in bed a few minutes) nowadays. :redface:

Personally....showering is based on sex.

No matter what before sleep....but in the morning if things look god as well.

Oct 25, 2012
Louisville, Ky
You'll just may have some explaining to do when you meet your maker. :eek:
You mean his mom and dad?

Why would ANYONE talk about a rusty trombone with their parents...seems a bit strange to me.

Besides, Colonel Angus is a far better musician....much better than roses on a piano would be tulips on an organ.

Oct 7, 2012
NC
as an adolescent, I was really into blondes. wanted a blonde girlfriend, etc. then when I was a junior, I dated a blonde cheerleader from our schools football competitor. anyways I thought she was a kind of a mean cold fish. we stopped seeing each other and my fascination with blondes eventually faded and I only dated brunettes after her. it was not a conscious decision, just happened.

:rolleyes:

Oct 25, 2012
Louisville, Ky
I had never been attracted to blondes as a general rule...always redheads and brunettes.

Then....I met my wife.....game over.

Oct 7, 2012
NC
changed belief #3

I used to think gays were kind of gross and sinful in their attraction to same genders. I imagine I was taught this.

Then I inadvertently worked with and befriended a few and realized I was wrong. I also learned that a childhood friend was gay and killed himself later in life.

I now see it as a biological and/or developmental issue mostly. I have known gays who were that way from their first attraction to another person and those who "became" that way due to trauma, etc.

Whatever the case, I now feel that it is not my place to judge them.

Nov 21, 2017
Behind the 8 ball
changed belief #3

I used to think gays were kind of gross and sinful in their attraction to same genders. I imagine I was taught this.

Then I inadvertently worked with and befriended a few and realized I was wrong. I also learned that a childhood friend was gay and killed himself later in life.

I now see it as a biological and/or developmental issue mostly. I have known gays who were that way from their first attraction to another person and those who "became" that way due to trauma, etc.

Whatever the case, I now feel that it is not my place to judge them.
You didn't think of the suicide as some kind of indicator? :unsure: