The forgotten civil War. How American can learn from it's past.

Jul 26, 2009
Opa Locka
In February 1899 civil war erupted as America's largest colony in the Far East attempted to declare independence. After a brutal guerrilla war that dragged on until 1902 and which suffered major anti-imperialist opposition at home the 'Vietnam War of the 19th Century' ended in an American victory.

This article calls for lessons that can and should be learned in relation to the Afghanistan War.

deanhills

Secretary of State
Mar 15, 2009
I was totally bowled over by this article, as like others I am totally unfamiliar with this war. An excellent article, thanks for showing it to us. I would say that there are so many differences between the two wars, perhaps they cannot really be compared, and the one war cannot be an example to the other, except in the big picture of wars in general to have examples for other wars.

1. Afghanistan has one of the most challenging war terrains. Rugged mountains and lack of roads to begin with. US has to really work on major intelligence to stay one ahead of the Taliban.

2. Due to the rugged terrain and easy camouflage for the Taliban, who have centuries experience of hiding in caves, it is very difficult to identify the location of the enemy. Also important to camouflage against the enemy as it would be easy to be cut off and encircled by them.

3. The Philipines stood alone as one adversary, whereas in Afghanistan Pakistan features very heavily as well. There are so many politics to contend with other than Afghanistan in the war with the Taliban.

4. We are dealing with terrorists who believe with a passion that they will earn salvation when they kill others. The Roman Catholic Philipinos had much more of a resistance to killing, not likely that they would go for suicide attacks.

5. The time periods are very different in terms of technological expertise in weaponry and trained troops. Transportation is also different.

Jan 15, 2010
Southern Calfironia
I also have never heard of this war. I wonder why it's missing from the history books?
It may have been considered minor compared to the Spanish American war. I wonder how much is taught in history about Cambodia, Laos, etc as compared to the Viet Nam. Also, things changed with the Philipines as they were strong allies by WWII and have been since then.

Jul 26, 2009
Opa Locka
It may have been considered minor compared to the Spanish American war. I wonder how much is taught in history about Cambodia, Laos, etc as compared to the Viet Nam. Also, things changed with the Philipines as they were strong allies by WWII and have been since then.
Not allies so much as part of the USA. :p They lost the Philippine War, remember?

Nov 24, 2016
Victoria, BC
I also have never heard of this war. I wonder why it's missing from the history books?
It is not missing from the history books; you just haven't been reading the right history books.

May I suggest: A People's History of the United States.

Here it is for free on line: A People's History of the United States

This great book should really be read by everyone. It is difficult to describe why it so great because it both teaches and inspires. You really just have to read it. We think it is so good that it demands to be as accessible as possible. Once you've finished it, we're sure you'll agree. In fact, years ago, we would offer people twenty dollars if they read the book and didn't think it was completely worth their time. Of all the people who took us up on it, no one collected.
The chapter, "The Empire and the People" deals with the disgraceful American subjugation of the Philippines.

Last edited: