this is the end. empires die at 250 years.

Nov 2016
Victoria, BC
America's Decadence Signals End of an Empire
Sir John Glubb, a British author and lecturer, argued that most empires generally don’t last longer than 250 years. Greek Empire? 231 years. Roman Empire? 207 years. Ottoman Empire? 250 years. Romanov Russian Empire? 234 years. British Empire? 250 years.

The United States of America?
Well, we’re sitting at a ripe old age of 237 and deep in the midst of what Glubb called the Age of Decadence - the final stage of an empire that is marked by defensiveness, pessimism, materialism, frivolity, and the Welfare State.
Please discuss and let worry and panic ensue at once. :cold:
First of all, the Ottoman Empire lasted from, at least, 1453 until the First World War.

The Roman Empire lasted from the Triumph of Octavian over Antony in (I think) 32 BC until 476 AD --- even longer, until 1453, if we count the Eastern Roman Empire.

As for the United States, there have been three USA's, and a fourth looks very near.

By some strange fatality, each American Empire has lasted very close to 80 years.

The first began in 1781, when the French, assisted by the Terrorist Insurrectionists, destroyed good government in the Thirteen Colonies. That chaotic, land-grabbing slavocracy lasted until the War of Northern Aggression.

Then an America of lawless profiteers gobbled up the wealth of the nation and ground down the mass of the population, ending in the Great Depression and World War II.

The past 80 years have produced a sinister and unprincipled Military Regime controlled by corrupt and unaccountable "security" apparatus.

Emperor Trump (a combination of Crassus, Caesar and Nero, if we look back to Rome), clearly signals that a fourth America is about to appear, right on time.

Jul 2009
Opa Locka
Rome lasted for over 1k years and the sun still doesn't set on the Commonwealth.

Just because something sounds clever doesn't mean it is and you look like a fool parroting something obviously wrong even when 1st published.

Dec 2018
Tempe, AZ
Rome lasted for over 1k years and the sun still doesn't set on the Commonwealth.

Just because something sounds clever doesn't mean it is and you look like a fool parroting something obviously wrong even when 1st published.
Unclear what exactly you are trying to say. :rolleyes:

Oct 2012
NC

Sir John Glubb is a Sir, so I'm going to go with him. I'm sure you're a nice and smart lad, but you are no Sir, sir.

The problem with relativistic thinking is there are no solids in debate....
commonwealth =/= empire.

Jul 2009
Opa Locka
Sir John Glubb is a Sir, so I'm going to go with him. I'm sure you're a nice and smart lad, but you are no Sir, sir.

The problem with relativistic thinking is there are no solids in debate....
commonwealth =/= empire.
What the hell does some sword tap have to do with anything?