Trump cancels UK visit… so much for the ‘special relationship’

Nov 2016
Victoria, BC
Trump cancels UK visit… so much for the ‘special relationship’

Hardly anyone will buy President Donald Trump’s explanation for his abruptly canceled visit to London next month. The real reason, no doubt, was to avoid embarrassing scenes of mass street protests marring his official welcome....

Other reports have indicated, however, that the president is more concerned by mounting public opposition to what would be his first official visit to Britain. Previously, Trump had said that he was considering shelving plans to come to Britain due to public animosity towards the president.
It was also reported that Trump was unhappy by the lack of “bells and whistles” being afforded during his would-be stay by the British government. He was, for example, not scheduled to meet with the monarch and official head of state, Queen Elizabeth II, at Buckingham Palace. The curtailed public ceremonies were likely prompted by official concerns of bad publicity ensuing from raucous protests greeting Trump on London’s streets....

One thing that will inevitably be gleaned from the debacle is the dwindling world standing of this American president.

His latest outburst this week reportedly labeling various poor nations as “shithole countries” has sparked more international outrage over Trump’s foul-mouth and perceived racist attitude. Increasingly, this president has led the US into frosty isolation from the rest of the world due to his churlish conduct and boorish personal behavior.
They love us everywhere we go. ---

Last edited:
Mar 2011
Rhondda, Cymru
The Brexiteers are desperate to make a chum of this racist nutter Trump, but everyone is totally against him. Johnson and Co consider it hugely unfair!

Jan 2018
Arkansas
His cancellation is as much a stain on UK as the US. We regularly have people coming to the UN in NYC that we would prefer they stay at home. It seldom causes a problem. I would think the UK was more gracious than that.

Mar 2011
Rhondda, Cymru
His cancellation is as much a stain on UK as the US. We regularly have people coming to the UN in NYC that we would prefer they stay at home. It seldom causes a problem. I would think the UK was more gracious than that.
Explain. People have to belong to the UN to look after their interest, whereas Trump only wants to come here to ride in a coach. I expect we could lend him one!

Nov 2017
FL Treasure Coast & South Central FL
Explain. People have to belong to the UN to look after their interest, whereas Trump only wants to come here to ride in a coach. I expect we could lend him one!
One shouldst not cutteth off one's nose to spite one's visage.

Nov 2016
Victoria, BC
I think it might cause a problem if Hitler came to New York City expecting a ticker-tape parade down Broadway.

Mar 2011
Rhondda, Cymru
It is a state visit just like when any other head of state visits another country.
A State Visit includes a great deal of ceremonial, including riding in a carriage and dining with the Queen, which is hardly appropriate to a respectable old lady of religious principles, as I think even Americans can see. 'Working visits' are what is suitable for the more disreputable Heads of State, though in Trump's case they would need to be incredibly carefully managed. Mrs May is at once desperate to keep the Slob sweet and to get popular support, and she can hardly do both.

Jan 2018
Arkansas
A State Visit includes a great deal of ceremonial, including riding in a carriage and dining with the Queen, which is hardly appropriate to a respectable old lady of religious principles, as I think even Americans can see. 'Working visits' are what is suitable for the more disreputable Heads of State, though in Trump's case they would need to be incredibly carefully managed. Mrs May is at once desperate to keep the Slob sweet and to get popular support, and she can hardly do both.
And the UK is not capable of being civil for a day or two?