U.S. Confidence Near 17 Year High

Nov 2017
FL Treasure Coast & South Central FL
If you think the President has NOTHING to do with it, you may as well go back to head down position. :giggle:

Consumer confidence hit 122.1 in December, slightly below the 17-year high set in November, 128.6, according to the Conference Board's index released Wednesday.

"Despite the decline in confidence, consumers' expectations remain at historically strong levels, suggesting economic growth will continue well into 2018," Lynn Franco, director of economic indicators at the Conference Board, said in a statement.

U.S. consumer confidence remains near 17-year high - Dec. 27, 2017

tecoyah

Forum Staff
Oct 2012
Louisville, Ky
Another 1929, hey? Or 1917 perhaps? American fantasies are fascinating!
Just understand that most of America does not fall into this dishonest representation and actually understand this temporary upswing is the continuation of a recovery instigated long before Trump. We also recognize the unfortunate realities recent policy positions place us in for the future.

Nov 2017
Just understand that most of America does not fall into this dishonest representation and actually understand this temporary upswing is the continuation of a recovery instigated long before Trump. We also recognize the unfortunate realities recent policy positions place us in for the future.
You'll be crying all the way to the bank with heavy pockets with these " unfortunate realities". :rolleyes:

Oct 2012
NC

if the economy continues to boom, it will become increasingly difficult to push the doom and gloom ticket.

Jul 2009
Opa Locka
if the economy continues to boom, it will become increasingly difficult to push the doom and gloom ticket.
As I said before, stock market =/= economy. Stock prices can keep on going up (I mean this seriously, I like fatter dividends) but if wages and consumer spending is still down it doesn't mean crap for the economy.

Nov 2017
As I said before, stock market =/= economy. Stock prices can keep on going up (I mean this seriously, I like fatter dividends) but if wages and consumer spending is still down it doesn't mean crap for the economy.
But they are up big time! - hello?! :D

Aug 2017
Medway Towns, Kent
There's a difference between playing with loaded dice and the National Lottery, in my view! :)
financial markets and politics are only a perception of reality.... playing with loaded dice as you say implies a definite outcome whereas markets and politics are generally not predictable

Mar 2011
Rhondda, Cymru
financial markets and politics are only a perception of reality.... playing with loaded dice as you say implies a definite outcome whereas markets and politics are generally not predictable
I predict that the rich will always win the elections and that rising stock prices will be followed by a slump. I don't put money on things, but I think I'd be safe to do so here.

Aug 2017
Medway Towns, Kent
I predict that the rich will always win the elections..
Since these individuals are generally endowed with a richer mixture of motivation and intelligent and know how to operate within an adversarial environment then yes I would agree with you. But just being "rich" is not factor for success in politics.

You can make money in the finacial markets irrespective of whether they are going up or down - the trick is knowledge of the system and consistency.

Mar 2011
Rhondda, Cymru
Since these individuals are generally endowed with a richer mixture of motivation and intelligent and know how to operate within an adversarial environment then yes I would agree with you. But just being "rich" is not factor for success in politics.

You can make money in the finacial markets irrespective of whether they are going up or down - the trick is knowledge of the system and consistency.
The rich, collectively, can buy American elections.

Nov 2017
The rich, collectively, can buy American elections.

I have yet to see a shred of evidence that a single voter was paid $X.XX to vote a certain way. Even if they were, the payee is not in the voting booth, so cannot confirm voter voted for the paid candidate.

Undoubtedly, they would say they voted as paid but voted how they would have in the 1st place! :cool:

Mar 2011
Rhondda, Cymru
I have yet to see a shred of evidence that a single voter was paid $X.XX to vote a certain way. Even if they were, the payee is not in the voting booth, so cannot confirm voter voted for the paid candidate.

Undoubtedly, they would say they voted as paid but voted how they would have in the 1st place! :cool:
Look into the legal position about buying television time to fix elections. It is regarded, puzzlingly to free people, as free speech.