UK - USA Relations

Apr 2010
So the newly minted British Prime Minister came to Washington and had a press conference with Obama. He came off better than I thought he would in my opinion, whereas Obama seemed to have nothing overly important to say. They wasted the sound bite by talking about the Lockerbie bomber instead of something more important, like a withdraw date for Afghanistan.

Also, is it just me, or does Obama seem flat these days. Where did his charisma go?

Jul 2009
Port St. Lucie
So the newly minted British Prime Minister came to Washington and had a press conference with Obama. He came off better than I thought he would in my opinion, whereas Obama seemed to have nothing overly important to say. They wasted the sound bite by talking about the Lockerbie bomber instead of something more important, like a withdraw date for Afghanistan.

Also, is it just me, or does Obama seem flat these days. Where did his charisma go?

Mudslinging politics and the stress of the presidency has sapped the life from him?

Jan 2010
Miami
That and he's appearing more like a typical politician than the new face in Washington he appeared to be when he got into office. I don't mean that in any bad way (although I don't support him to begin with) but he's not the first POTUS where this has happened. Campaign season comes with some pretty funny quirks and don't always show a full awareness of what being POTUS is like.

Apr 2010
That and he's appearing more like a typical politician than the new face in Washington he appeared to be when he got into office. I don't mean that in any bad way (although I don't support him to begin with) but he's not the first POTUS where this has happened. Campaign season comes with some pretty funny quirks and don't always show a full awareness of what being POTUS is like.

Carter, George Bush Senior, Herbert Hoover. These 3 presidents have one thing in common, and I'd say Obama will eventually join them with this commonality. Can you tell me what it is?

Apr 2010
Carter, George Bush Senior, Herbert Hoover. These 3 presidents have one thing in common, and I'd say Obama will eventually join them with this commonality. Can you tell me what it is?

No one can tell me what it is that these 3 have in common?

How much experience did he have in national politics when elected?

The shock to the system has to be significant.

Add to that all of the campaign promises he has had to eat (Gitmo, immigration reform, Patriot Act etc etc ect). Now, I don't fault him for that. Politics makes people do things they'd prefer not to do. I suspect he wasn't prepared for the scale of forced acceptence.

Add to that sinking approval numbers. The healthcare bill had diminishing support. How many 2000 page bills were passed before anyone could read them? His refusal, at first, to give up the names of people in his administration who represented prisoners in Gitmo etc... this has a collective impact on how he is perceived. He claimed that he'd be a model of transparency. He's not living up to it. Again, I don't fault him. I just don't think he fully understood what came attached to the office.

His established tendency to throw people under the bus... in the case of Sherrod they didn't bother to explore the facts before tossing her overboard.

Racial issues; he said he would open a dialogue about race. Far from it. It has been a sword, a shield and it has been both for his opposition as well. His record is not one of a free exchange of ideas on the subject but of forcing silence on the issue.

Obviously I don't support the man's policies but he's got a damn hard job. I suspect he got a lot more than he bargained for. His first two years came with massive congressional support. I suspect a congress controlled by the GOP will actually help his ratings.

we'll see