US spent $5.6 trillion on wars since 9/11

Nov 2016
Victoria, BC
'
US spent $5.6 trillion on wars since 9/11

Washington has expended a whopping $5.6 trillion on wars in Afghanistan, Iraq, Syria and Pakistan since 2001, according to a new study. That figure is more than three times what the Pentagon has claimed in official estimates.

Research from the Watson Institute of International and Public Affairs at Brown University found that as of late September, the US wars combined with "additional spending on Homeland Security and the Departments of Defense and Veterans Affairs" had totaled more than $4.3 trillion since the 9/11 attacks in 2001. That number surged to $5.6 trillion once likely costs were added for fiscal year 2018, along with estimated future spending on veterans.
emphasis added

The total population of Iraq, Syria, Lebanon, Yemen, Jordan, and Palestine is about 100,000,000.

Dividing 5.6 trillion by 100 million would give $56,000 for every man, woman, and child in the Middle East --- more than enough to turn them and their countries into rich, developed nations and enthusiastic supporters of the USA.

But, of course, that would not have given obscene profits to the Satanic American War Machine!

Last edited:
Aug 2017
Medway Towns, Kent
OOH you nasty awful hateful Americans...how could you!!
From now on all your soldiers should be clad in fluffy pink unicorn onesies and take up quilting instead of making a nuisance of yourselves in the playground.
Tut tut!!

Nov 2016
Victoria, BC
OOH you nasty awful hateful Americans...how could you!!
From now on all your soldiers should be clad in fluffy pink unicorn onesies and take up quilting instead of making a nuisance of yourselves in the playground.
Tut tut!!
I award you the blue-plate Special Award for utter irrelevance to the content of the Opening Post.

Aug 2017
Medway Towns, Kent
I award you the blue-plate Special Award for utter irrelevance
OH WOW....Gosh..Well... I'm humbled... I've never won an award before...thank you so much.... I don't know what to say...I look around at all the posters here...to all the other nominees and your weirdly irrelevent posts, I’m proud to be in your company!!

Irrelevance has been a great part of my life I'm only here because no one else bothered to put me down or make me feel as stupid or pathetic as you. I need to say a great big thank you to all those that have....{sniffles}.... have studiously ignorned me on this pointless jouney... especially my fellow posters! Without their disdain and ridicule and contempt...well....this would simply not have been possible....{blubber}.... thank you guys!!

I thank you from the bottom of my gastrointestinal tract!

Aug 2017
Medway Towns, Kent
I award you the blue-plate Special Award for utter irrelevance to the content of the Opening Post.
Okay.... so much for the acceptance speech.

Just what is your beef then..
People/Nations/Americans make war?
People/Nations/Amercians make weapons?
People/Nations/Americans spend money on making war?
People/Nations/Americans would be better off quilting and not making war?

tecoyah

Forum Staff
Oct 2012
Louisville, Ky
Humans created war and perpetuate it's existence, The united States is merely the latest incarnation of this perpetuation and not a particularly good representation of it's brutality. In the past humans used war to take new lands and resources or destroy neighbors because they did not like them. Though the U.S has certainly taken out folks they don't like they have a history (short as it may be) of reacting to aggression as stated initially vs. instigating it.
I agree that as of late we have become rather stupid and arrogant, but we also do one hell of a lot of good.

Nov 2016
Victoria, BC
I agree that as of late we have become rather stupid and arrogant, but we also do one hell of a lot of good.
Please tell me what the US government has done recently in foreign affairs which is "one hell of a lot of good."

All I see is its War Machine and its surrogates rampaging around the world like Nazis on a drunken spree.

tecoyah

Forum Staff
Oct 2012
Louisville, Ky
Please tell me what the US government has done recently in foreign affairs which is "one hell of a lot of good."

All I see is its War Machine and its surrogates rampaging around the world like Nazis on a drunken spree.
Because that is all you want to see.

tecoyah

Forum Staff
Oct 2012
Louisville, Ky
Years ago, I read " the Report from Iron Mountain. Despite being a spoof/ satire it was thought provoking. The economy needs a big, wasteful way to get rid of money in order to grow-eg. A war, a public health scare, invasion by aliens.
The book was supposedly about whether world peace was desirable.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Report_from_Iron_Mountain
I remember picking this up in a library in San Diego and after a couple paragraphs thinking it was a boring Gov't document....I should have actually read it.

Nov 2017
FL Treasure Coast & South Central FL
'

But, of course, that would not have given obscene profits to the Satanic American War Machine!
Your implications simply are not plausible.

My Lockheed Martin 401K up 22.4% this year so far is NOT obscene! :p

The bottom line is the the U.S. takes ONLY necessary military action; no superfluous action. :cool:

Last edited:
Aug 2017
Medway Towns, Kent
The bottom line is the the U.S. takes ONLY necessary military action; no superfluous action.
Interesting....Political necessity or military necessity - I'd be interested for you to give me your definition of necessity against measured achievement against expended resources (human and financial).
What would you define as superflous military action or is that a euphemism for a political necessity?