Washington Senate approves bill to legalize gay marriage

Dec 2011
Earth
I could not be more happy for Washington. Good job.

Assuming this passes the House, which it should, that will be seven down and forty-three to go.

The Washington state Senate on Wednesday passed a bill that would legalize same-sex marriage, setting the stage for the state to become the seventh to allow gay and lesbian couples to wed.​

The measure now heads to the House, which is expected to approve it. Gov. Chris Gregoire supports the measure and has said she will sign it into law, though opponents have promised to challenge it at the ballot with a referendum.​

The measure was passed on a 28-21 vote. Four Republicans crossed party lines and voted with majority Democrats for the measure. Three Democrats voted against it.​

Any challenge to the bill can't be filed until after it is passed by the full Legislature and signed into law by Gregoire. Opponents then must turn in 120,577 signatures by June 6.

If opponents aren't able to collect enough signatures, gay and lesbian couples would be able to be wed starting in June. Otherwise, they would have to wait until the results of a November election.​

Mar 2009
Undisclosed
Feb 2012
Well, I grew up in a very conservative household and my country is not as liberal as the US in this. When I was younger gay people were seen as some 'mean' persons who can't do it 'right'. I grew with this belief and then had the chance to meet some who are terrific guys. Some are now my friends and they've been by my side even when the 'straights' were ignoring the hardships I'd gone through.

I got the chance to see how their relationships work and realized that love in the end is love, regardless of anything else. So, I am happy if they get the legal system to approve their relationships. Most of them are amazing people who are just 'different' and would deserve the chance to live and love like everybody else.

Mar 2009
Undisclosed
Well, I grew up in a very conservative household and my country is not as liberal as the US in this. When I was younger gay people were seen as some 'mean' persons who can't do it 'right'. I grew with this belief and then had the chance to meet some who are terrific guys. Some are now my friends and they've been by my side even when the 'straights' were ignoring the hardships I'd gone through.

I got the chance to see how their relationships work and realized that love in the end is love, regardless of anything else. So, I am happy if they get the legal system to approve their relationships. Most of them are amazing people who are just 'different' and would deserve the chance to live and love like everybody else.
It is not a big deal to me either way. After all my son-in-law decided to become a woman after 7+ years of being married to my daughter. Even change his name from Brad to Brandy. They are still together so I can adjust when I have to.

One thing I don't like is anyone, gay or straight tongue kissing, tongue in the ears and leg riding in public. When I go to a store or restaurant I don't need that.:)

Dec 2011
Earth

Excellent post, dojo. And welcome to the forums! I hope you enjoy your time here and become a permanent member.

Why don't you swing by the Introductions section and introduce yourself. Tell us a little about you.

Jan 2012
Very good news! Let's hope this can happen in every far corner of the world in the future.