what are you grateful for?

Oct 7, 2012
NC
what are you grateful for?...

i can think of numerous things but before i divulge, i'd like to hear from a few of you first.

Oct 7, 2012
NC
i am grateful for your thoughtful responses here. that is to say grateful to to the entity that is you. there is a direction with the word. from me to you.

it would, afterall, be absurd to be grateful to some non-entity.

Oct 7, 2012
NC
Synonyms for grateful

adj appreciative, beholden, indebted, pleased, thankful, gratified, obliged.

I use the word in the context of pleased & gratified.

a synonym can be exactly the same meaning or nearly so. i'd say your choices fall into the "nearly so" category in that unlike all the others, the ones you chose lack the "direction" discussed already.

so, you could just say "i am happy" and i suspect you would if that encompassed your thoughts and feelings. you don't though; you say "grateful and thankful and blessed".

i just find that interesting.

Oct 7, 2012
NC
Your statement is absurd.

You can be grateful to a situation; example: "We were grateful the whole family got along at the Christmas dinner for once, and nobody caused as scene as they usually do".
i didn't think of it like that, and now that you mention it, your right. in fact i very frequently find myself sending thank you cards to situations for happening.

Oct 7, 2012
NC
The bottom line is that virtually everybody's list of what they are grateful for, is literally endless.

If you asked people on the street corner stuff like: Are you grateful you never went blind? The answer would be YES; Are you grateful your house didn't burn down last night? The answer, of course would be YES.

So asking what someone is grateful for, only touches the very tip of the iceberg.
having a sense of gratitude for something is quite different from liking something, as i spelled out. I was asking about that not merely liking something.

Oct 25, 2012
Louisville, Ky
Perhaps from your perspective that is (or you want it to be true), but from my own perspective, being glad/happy/grateful are words that are fully interchangeable.

Example:

(a) I am grateful my neighbor saw my fall down in my front yard & perform CPR on me until ambulance arrived.

or

(b) I am glad my neighbor saw my fall down in my front yard & perform CPR on me until ambulance arrived.

I see no real difference in statements; you are basically saying you are positive about an event.

I am very glad my wife is beautiful and hot.

I am very grateful she allows me to take advantage of this.

I am happy that I can be grateful.....and have something to be glad about.

Oct 7, 2012
NC
Here you go, arcturus:

grate·ful [greyt-fuhl] Show IPA
adjective
warmly or deeply appreciative of kindness or benefits received; thankful: I am grateful to you for your help.
expressing or actuated by gratitude: a grateful letter.
pleasing to the mind or senses; agreeable or welcome; refreshing: a grateful breeze.
Origin:
1545–55; obsolete grate pleasing (< Latin grātus ) + -ful

I USE THE 3RD DEFINITION, which has NO "entity" whatsoever involved.
oh so definition 1 and 2 infer a direction, like thankful TO someone or something, and 3. does not. got it.

WAIT!

you just said one post prior ...

I am also grateful to the inventor of Cheddar Jalepeno Cheetos!!!
clearly indicating the "TO" direction. in other words you are utilizing definition 1 or 2 there.

you poor lad you can't keep your story together betwen two posts?:giggle:

Oct 7, 2012
NC
well lets get down to the crux of it.

i suspect your apparent avoidance being grateful "directionally toward a thing", even though you feel and experience this is because you fear that if the feeling exists toward an unknown thing (ie im grateful for this beautiful sunrise) then that points toward your internal knowledge of diety

if this is the case, and i believe it is, then, well... your fear is warranted.

:showoff:

Feb 8, 2013
just past the moons of Jupiter
well lets get down to the crux of it.

i suspect your apparent avoidance being grateful "directionally toward a thing", even though you feel and experience this is because you fear that if the feeling exists toward an unknown thing (ie im grateful for this beautiful sunrise) then that points toward your internal knowledge of diety

if this is the case, and i believe it is, then, well... your fear is warranted.

:showoff:
It's amazing the lengths people will go through to convince themselves of things.