What does "America First" mean to you or do you disagree with it?

Jul 2009
Opa Locka
The fact is that - far more than the old USSR - America seems to fix it so that only decent, charming people are allowed out. When I read posts from the trumpers I can see that you are very obviously right, but over here I've yet to meet an American I don't like.
Xenophobes don't travel. Also people that do travel develop a worldly outlook on life and so the more traveled an American is, the more amiable they are to non North Americans.

Oct 2012
Louisville, Ky
Xenophobes don't travel. Also people that do travel develop a worldly outlook on life and so the more traveled an American is, the more amiable they are to non North Americans.
We do tend to save the worst of ourselves for....ourselves. I suppose this is a good thing internationally but kinda sucks for us.

Nov 2016
Victoria, BC
The fact is that - far more than the old USSR - America seems to fix it so that only decent, charming people are allowed out. When I read posts from the trumpers I can see that you are very obviously right, but over here I've yet to meet an American I don't like.
Foreigners (of whatever country) abroad tend to be much worse or much better than the average in their home countries.

Think of the adventurers and colonists who poured out of Europe over the past 500 years. Most were scoundrels out to make their fortunes at whatever cost to others. They were to some extent balanced by a much smaller percentage of expatriates who traveled abroad for more altruistic or scholarly purposes.

Remember the old saw:

First came the missionaries,
Then came the traders,
Then came the soldiers.

As for the United States, if we judge by recent history, Americans engaged in business or government have, for the most part, been horrible and violent exploiters of the countries into which they have intruded.

Feb 2013
just past the moons of Jupiter
I think if you visited here you would find that the vast majority of people you encounter are decent I'm not sure about Charming per se. Even people who voted for Trump. We do have assholes it's part of human nature.