What is Conservative?

Oct 2012
Louisville, Ky
According to my understanding, conservatism means attempting to maintain the status quo on a larger scale while leaning things a bit toward those things we learned from the past.

In my opinion, the Democratic platform meets this criteria significantly more accurately than the GOP.

What say you?

Jan 2009
I say the monikers really shouldn't matter- they cause more confusion than anything else. Everyone defines them differently.

Oct 2012
Louisville, Ky
I say the monikers really shouldn't matter- they cause more confusion than anything else. Everyone defines them differently.
Yet that little chunk of glass, seems to be the core of our current failure. The Tea Party is far from conservative, as I once knew it. The GOP (claiming to be so), has become an offshoot of this.

I am still Republican....they are not.

Jan 2009
Yet that little chunk of glass, seems to be the core of our current failure. The Tea Party is far from conservative, as I once knew it. The GOP (claiming to be so), has become an offshoot of this.

I am still Republican....they are not.
But isn't that the point? Neither your definition of conservatism or theirs is rooted in any objective measure. They are both just subjectively defined and arguing about it basically just boils down to two points: "i'm right" and "no, i'm right". It's a futile endeavor.

Oct 2012
Louisville, Ky
And so....we go back to defining ourselves by what we think...what we wish, and where we wish to be in the future.

Nov 2012
USA
In today's America, both so-called conservatives and so-called liberals want to grow the government. But, a conservative wants military growth to be a priority while a liberal wants welfare growth to be a priority.

Nov 2012
Salt Lake City, Utah
People can be classified as liberal or conservative by issue maybe, but not on all issues taken as a whole. I believe that's how one would statistically be classified if everyone were to have an opinion on each and every issue. A bit right of center, center-left, etc.

I don't think the information is particularly useful though (except by politicians seeking to know where their constituents are on the issues). People as individuals probably have no real use for labels like that.

Jan 2012
Texas
Conservatism is the idea that government should remain minimal, and not intrusive into the lives of the individual. An ideal lost in both the mainstream parties.

Conservative means conserving of the republic. The democrat party definitely does not represent conservatism. The libertarian party seems to uphold conservatism better than any.

Nov 2012
According to my understanding, conservatism means attempting to maintain the status quo on a larger scale while leaning things a bit toward those things we learned from the past.

In my opinion, the Democratic platform meets this criteria significantly more accurately than the GOP.

What say you?
You asked what a conservative is, then talk about the GOP platform. Why?
There are conservative Dems as well as conservative GPO & Libertarians.
I am more on par with Conservative Libertarian.
There are liberal GOPers as well. Don't confuse a political party with either conservative or liberal.

Oct 2012
Louisville, Ky
You asked what a conservative is, then talk about the GOP platform. Why?
There are conservative Dems as well as conservative GPO & Libertarians.
I am more on par with Conservative Libertarian.
There are liberal GOPers as well. Don't confuse a political party with either conservative or liberal.
It seems pretty well established (By the GOP itself), that they are the conservative brand, thus my comment. I think perhaps you have simply restated my point.

Jan 2009
I will chime in here again.

The Ron Paul brand of the GOP calls itself "conservative". Some "conservative" commentators and historians call them "traditional conservatives or paleoconservatives". The media and a lot of the public likes to call them "libertarians". The founding fathers would likely have called them "liberals" like they considered themselves. Other historians call them "classical liberals" just as they call the founding fathers. The vast majority of humans in history would have probably labeled them as some sort of progressive group, probably broadly put, "liberals". Goldwater would probably have called them real "conservatives". If I remember correctly, Reagan did call Ron Paul "conservative". Some call them "anarchists" due to the ideas of the Austrian school. Some "anarchists" (especially "left anarchists" or "social anarchists" say they are "right anarchists" or "anarchocapitalists". I can keep going...

Do you see my point? These labels don't matter.

Nov 2012
I will chime in here again.

The Ron Paul brand of the GOP calls itself "conservative". Some "conservative" commentators and historians call them "traditional conservatives or paleoconservatives". The media and a lot of the public likes to call them "libertarians". The founding fathers would likely have called them "liberals" like they considered themselves. Other historians call them "classical liberals" just as they call the founding fathers. The vast majority of humans in history would have probably labeled them some as some sort of progressive group, probably broadly put, "liberals". Goldwater would probably have called them real "conservatives". If I remember correctly, Reagan did call Ron Paul "conservative". Some call them "anarchists" due to the ideas of the Austrian school. Some "anarchists" (especially "left anarchists" or "social anarchists" say they are "right anarchists" or "anarchocapitalists". I can keep going...

Do you see my point? These labels don't matter.
Labels "shouldn't matter" but when they're used as a wedge, a hammer, they do matter. Our politicians use "conservatives/Republicans will throw granny over the cliff, peek in your bedroom, they're racists", or "Liberals/Dems will control us, take our God given rights, our Bibles, our guns". So yes, labels do matter because many, too many do not take the time to look back & see that these wage issues have been used since the beginning.
I will say that with each new admin it seems that we're edging closer to some of those accusations so far as our freedoms go, & it has nothing whatsoever to do with race or ethnicity.

Jan 2009
My take on this, Wendy, is that a goal of political education and intellectual discussion should be in making people realize how silly the labels are. Effectively weaken that "tool" for the politician in these "us vs. them" narratives.

Jan 2012
Texas
Not for me. You?
We have differing opinions, (& that's all we have) your opinion does not cancel out my opinion, nor my opinion does not cancel out yours, & guess what, we have the right to our opinion. Great, yes?
There is no room for those now Wendy, some people may not get to be right, your are no danger of shattering somebody's fragile sense of self.