What is the greatest invention of all time?

myp

Site Founder
Jan 14, 2009
This is along the lines of my other thread, but what do you feel is the greatest invention of all time? I am still thinking this one over too, but the printing press is definitely up there as is the alphabet/language.

Jul 26, 2009
Opa Locka
This is along the lines of my other thread, but what do you feel is the greatest invention of all time? I am still thinking this one over too, but the printing press is definitely up there as is the alphabet/language.
Fire, even if we didn't invent it, it was still a species of human ay least.

deanhills

Secretary of State
Mar 15, 2009
Computers and computing. And the Internet. All of it has had a major affect on everyone in the world, resulting in an explosion of the information age.

myp

Site Founder
Jan 14, 2009
The first findings on how to genetically manipulate crops is up there as well because without that the human population likely wouldn't have been able to sustain itself at current levels. Medicine is certainly up there, along with techniques such as pasteurization.

myp

Site Founder
Jan 14, 2009
I wonder how healthy that could be. And exactly what they are manipulating?
Most of the food that we buy in the modern world at the grocery store is manipulated in some way. Do you really think tomatoes are all naturally that red or that big? Or that pears so sweet or corn so perfect? Farmers have been genetically breeding and manipulating foods for quite some time. From fruits to vegetables to the animals people eat to the cows that produce milk, there is genetic manipulation involved in a vast majority of those products worldwide.
I disagree completely. I skimmed the article and I think I got the major points, but it is really being pessimistic as it does not consider all the benefits that the specialization into other areas has created for humanity. It has allowed other markets to thrive and as a result technology to progress a lot faster and people to have more choice in what they do. The nutritional foods are still there for those who want them, but they just have other choices now.

Jul 26, 2009
Opa Locka
Most of the food that we buy in the modern world at the grocery store is manipulated in some way. Do you really think tomatoes are all naturally that red or that big? Or that pears so sweet or corn so perfect? Farmers have been genetically breeding and manipulating foods for quite some time. From fruits to vegetables to the animals people eat to the cows that produce milk, there is genetic manipulation involved in a vast majority of those products worldwide.

I disagree completely. I skimmed the article and I think I got the major points, but it is really being pessimistic as it does not consider all the benefits that the specialization into other areas has created for humanity. It has allowed other markets to thrive and as a result technology to progress a lot faster and people to have more choice in what they do. The nutritional foods are still there for those who want them, but they just have other choices now.
I think we need to move to photosynthesis. So much easer.

Although not the greatest, or most prideful invention of all time. This invention from its introduction to the world stage, has had a major war mentality impact. Some hale the invention as a display of the worse of man, others view it just the opposite. August 9th 1945 was the second time we used this invention, August 6th 1945 was the first. Killing about 50,000 people in a matter of days, and as many as 250,000 in the long term. The atomic bomb which was used only twice in conflict ushered in a new era of technology, and fear. The fear of total annihilation, has a demoralizing effect on the solders who would wage war. We commonly refer to this effect as a deterrent. Japan surrendered unconditionally August 15th 1945. Even though we celebrate our victory over Japan on the 14th. The dates are different because of Japan being a day ahead of us at the time of surrender.

According to the History Channel, the number of world wide war related deaths has drastically dropped since the use of the atomic bomb. As of now the world wide war related death annually are around the 1 million mark, and continue to drop year after year. I tried to find a link to this information, but was unable too. I saw a documentary on the History Channel, a few weeks ago. They didn’t come right out and claim that the invention of the atomic bomb had been the cause to the reduction of war related deaths. They just pointed out the fact that even though the world population continues to grow. The war related deaths since wwII has fallen. Seems like an interesting observation to me.

deanhills

Secretary of State
Mar 15, 2009
The Internet. Can't even remember what life must have been like without being able to access almost any bit of information just at the click of a button.

Dirk

Anarchist
Apr 27, 2009
Disunited Queendom
The Internet. Can't even remember what life must have been like without being able to access almost any bit of information just at the click of a button.
I remember these creatures:

They were around when i was little.

deanhills

Secretary of State
Mar 15, 2009
They were around when i was little.
:giggle: ..... that was almost a give away wasn't it?

You're right though, those old computers were really too much computer. Although the one in your illustration was almost a "light computer" from that time.