Why did the US stock market crash on Monday?

Nov 2016
Victoria, BC
'
Why did the US stock market crash on Monday?

Crashes this big tend to happen when the market is massively overvalued.... In particular, the ratio of stock prices to corporate earnings is almost higher than it has ever been.

And the market remains seriously overvalued: even if shares fell by 50 percent from today’s level, they’d still be twice as expensive as they have been, on average, for the last 140 years.

Nov 2017
FL Treasure Coast & South Central FL
LOL! The market dropped back LESS than 1/4 from the gain over Trump's FANTASTIC 1st year!!! :D

4 steps up and 1 step back is pretty darn good!!!

Quote | Fox Business

My investment and 401K account made far more over the last year, than I EVER did working! :D

Last edited:
Oct 2012
NC
it was humorous after Monday watching the leftist hordes on twitter celebrating with glee the potential crash while blaming Trump.

...then it bounced back and now they're sad again.:giggle:

Aug 2013
North Carolina
Yeah that's right-Trump is responsible for the market gains but Obama is responsible for the big sell off according to Hanity. Wrong on both accounts. Anyone who thinks a President at any particular time is responsible for stock market moves needs to go back and break out the introduction to economics text. For all of you that think the Mango Haired Monster should be given credit for the Dow-how come almost all of the foreign markets outperformed the US market in 2017? Is trump that influential that he made all the economies recover this year? or maybe it was positive growth in all markets around the globe for the first time in a many years. I think I will go with the later.

Nov 2017
Yeah that's right-Trump is responsible for the market gains but Obama is responsible for the big sell off according to Hanity. Wrong on both accounts. Anyone who thinks a President at any particular time is responsible for stock market moves needs to go back and break out the introduction to economics text. For all of you that think the Mango Haired Monster should be given credit for the Dow-how come almost all of the foreign markets outperformed the US market in 2017? Is trump that influential that he made all the economies recover this year? or maybe it was positive growth in all markets around the globe for the first time in a many years. I think I will go with the later.
If investors are pleased and confident with a President's economy friendly policies, they BUY and stocks go up.

Aug 2013
North Carolina
I think the Monday stock massacre had a lot to do with programed trading. The big boys on the street have some of the most powerful computers in private hands programed to make trades in fractions of a second. If they all managed to get together they could take the Dow to the bottom (within trading limits) or make it hit the roof.
Sea Story:Back in the day I worked at a design firm in NYC working on nuclear power plants-we couldn't run any stress analysis after 3PM as the company had leased the computer space to the wall street firms for their money float transactions and their overseas trading. My company made more $$$ doing that then doing engineering work. If that was 30 years ago can you imagine what they can do today? Can you imagine if the Ruusskis hacked those machines?

Oct 2012
NC
Jul 2009
Opa Locka
it was humorous after Monday watching the leftist hordes on twitter celebrating with glee the potential crash while blaming Trump.

...then it bounced back and now they're sad again.:giggle:
If he can own the gains, he can own the crash. And it was Fox breaking in mid brag to report that the crash had happened that had the left so gleeful.

Nov 2017
If he can own the gains, he can own the crash. And it was Fox breaking in mid brag to report that the crash had happened that had the left so gleeful.
WHAT crash? Market still up 2,000 points from one year ago. :rolleyes: