Why do atheists believe in magic?

Sep 20, 2009
Most atheists are in love with themselves and can't believe in anything greater than themselves. Therefore magic is the answer. For example, the missing link seems to have appeared then disappeared as if by magic. Therefore it must be real.
You worship a personification of the worst attributes of Man and we're in loves with ourselves? :rolleyes:

You people think you're made in the 'image and likeness' of God :lol:

deanhills

Secretary of State
Mar 15, 2009
That's not accurate.

Depending on how 'God' is defined, he can be disproven. See Helios dfor an example of a god who has been disproven.

If a thing exists, it should be possible to prove it exists*, even if a test to do so has not yet been conceived,

*Insomuch as one 'proves', anything in science
OK, then give me proof that God does not exist. You would be absolutely unique to be able to do that, but I am open for surprises. By the way, that would be REAL magic! :)

Mar 24, 2009
Undisclosed
OK, then give me proof that God does not exist. You would be absolutely unique to be able to do that, but I am open for surprises. By the way, that would be REAL magic! :)
It all depends on how anyone looks at things. I see proof of "God" or something very powerful everyday. I don't think things "just happen". If people spent more time questioning our leaders and less worrying about proving there is no God maybe the world would not be in such a mess.:(

Mar 15, 2009
I prefer to place the burden of proof upon the believers. It should be far easier to prove something exists than prove that it doesn't.

The Parakeet

Retired Moderator
Jan 19, 2009
Dean - That's literally the whole prove that there isn't an invisible pink unicorn next to me. Or the prove that there isn't an incredibly small teacup on the far side of the moon.

We were all born atheists. There should be a reason to believe.

deanhills

Secretary of State
Mar 15, 2009
Dean - That's literally the whole prove that there isn't an invisible pink unicorn next to me. Or the prove that there isn't an incredibly small teacup on the far side of the moon.

We were all born atheists. There should be a reason to believe.
True, we are born atheists. Would that then make the act of birth a miracle?

Dirk

Anarchist
Apr 27, 2009
Disunited Queendom
To prove something does not exist is physically impossible. Particularly when you say, "ah, but it's invisible." "ah, but it's not material." "ah, but it's transdimensional."

It's also pretty difficult to prove it exists for the same reason.

I like the crackers in the pantry theory. You tell me there are crackers in the pantry. I look and i look and i look. But i can't find the crackers. I look some more, still can't find anything. I deduce that it is highly unlikely there are any crackers in the pantry.

True, we are born atheists. Would that then make the act of birth a miracle?
No, it makes the act of birth a biological process.

Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe there are fairies at the bottom of it as well?

Christians: we are all atheists in the matter of most Gods. Some of us just go one God further.

deanhills

Secretary of State
Mar 15, 2009
To prove something does not exist is physically impossible. Particularly when you say, "ah, but it's invisible." "ah, but it's not material." "ah, but it's transdimensional."

It's also pretty difficult to prove it exists for the same reason.

I like the crackers in the pantry theory. You tell me there are crackers in the pantry. I look and i look and i look. But i can't find the crackers. I look some more, still can't find anything. I deduce that it is highly unlikely there are any crackers in the pantry.
But maybe the pantry is enormous, and it would take me at least a few thousand years to search all of it. So maybe when I die I may still not have found any crackers.

Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe there are fairies at the bottom of it as well?
Who was talking about fairies? Thought we were discussing whether atheists believe in magic? Agreed, birth is a biological process, but look at the face of the mother and you may see a deeper dimension there of something different that cannot be tested in a lab tube.

Sep 20, 2009
Which god?

Helios? Simple, the sun isn't pulled around Earth by a chariot, so a god who drives such a chariot cannot, and therefore, does not exist.

YHWH? YHWH is defined by believers as being a god of infinite love and mercy, and being perfect. They also define jealousy as imperfect, and YHWH 'says' it is jealous. YHWH is defined as omnipotent with no limit to its knowledge, but an understanding of basic epistemological principles shown that to be impossible (how does YHWH know it wasn't created b an Uber-god? Xtians can only respond with fallacious circular arguments).

Sep 20, 2009
Dean - That's literally the whole prove that there isn't an invisible pink unicorn next to me.
Not quite. The definition of TiPU is much like that od a deistic deity. Deism exists because it wasn't safe to csay one didn't believe in god, so god was redefined as something meaningless (not interacting with the universe and therefore being of zero relevance) and unprovable by definition (inoprder to evade the burden of proof).

YHWH is defined differently, and is impossible by definition- no matter which of the mutually-exclusive definitions you accept from the Abrahamists.

Dirk

Anarchist
Apr 27, 2009
Disunited Queendom
Who was talking about fairies? Thought we were discussing whether atheists believe in magic? Agreed, birth is a biological process, but look at the face of the mother and you may see a deeper dimension there of something different that cannot be tested in a lab tube.
The point is that the world can be just as emotive, overwhelming, inspiring and fascinating without having had some mystical spiritual being create it.

Let's think, what would i see?

Probably the most prevalent of things would be pain and love.

Pain is merely the exertion of pressure on nerve-endings throughout the body.

Love is a complex chemical process within the mind, supported by nerve impulses throughout the limbic system of the brain.

As for the crackers, have you ever met the invisible pink unicorn that, while invisible, is also somehow pink? That unicorn has just as much chance of existing, or even creating the universe, as your "God". If not more.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2009
As for the crackers, have you ever met the invisible pink unicorn that, while invisible, is also somehow pink?
This is very possible. It's base color is pink while it's alpha level (transparency in some programs) is set to 0%. The image however, still exists. This can be proved using any photo editing software. Just because it isn't visible, doesn't mean the unicorn doesn't exist and doesn't mean it isn't pink.

If that isn't science, I don't know what is!

Dirk

Anarchist
Apr 27, 2009
Disunited Queendom
This is very possible. It's base color is pink while it's alpha level (transparency in some programs) is set to 0%. The image however, still exists. This can be proved using any photo editing software. Just because it isn't visible, doesn't mean the unicorn doesn't exist and doesn't mean it isn't pink.

If that isn't science, I don't know what is!
La la la, i <3 Edward Current.

deanhills

Secretary of State
Mar 15, 2009
As for the crackers, have you ever met the invisible pink unicorn that, while invisible, is also somehow pink? That unicorn has just as much chance of existing, or even creating the universe, as your "God". If not more.
Right, and the other way round, there is neither proof for a visible of invisible unicorn.

Jul 26, 2009
Opa Locka
For the love of all that is right and holy in this world, why the **** would you resurrect a 6.25 year old thread?!

Oct 25, 2012
Louisville, Ky
An interesting blast from the past, and thus do we delve into the continuous thread topic.

I can always prove any God of religion is inaccurate just by reading the silly books people write about it.

Jan 29, 2017
Between the mountain and the sea
An interesting blast from the past, and thus do we delve into the continuous thread topic.

I can always prove any God of religion is inaccurate just by reading the silly books people write about it.
The irony of the OP is that it is theists who believe that the universe just magically appeared.