Why do atheists believe in magic?

Oct 2012
NC
It seems very clear to me at least that stating tecoyah et al indicates tecoyah and others. If by chance my explaining that NOT being able to understand this is an insult I suggest getting testicle seeds and attempting to grow them.

you seem unable to understand that he may have not misunderstood.

If I consistently addressed you "dearly beloved leader" instead of "admin", or "mod", or tecoyah. you may know the meaning of the words "dearly beloved leader", but may not know the reason or context for their use in the particular situation.

So dearly beloved leader, insult away.

Aug 2010
Reynoldsburg, OH
Political Fray > The Political Fray > Religion
Why do atheists believe in magic?

pingpong, et al,

While it may be the case that "some" atheists believe in "magic," that is not to say that there is some latent framework that compels atheists to establishes a (non-objective) relationship with some supernatural entity that was the Ultimate Cosmic Creator (UCC).

It seems like atheists want me to believe that the universe just magically appeared. This is a hillarious theory which most people laugh at. The universe is just too balanced and too orderly.
(COMMENT)

Philosophically, atheist do not care, one way or the other, about the influence of the supernatural on scientific inquiry or discovery. The scientific process is objective:

1. Make observations.
  2. Propose a hypothesis.
  3. Design and perform an experiment to test the hypothesis.
  4. Analyze your data to determine whether to accept or reject the hypothesis.
  5. If necessary, propose and test a new hypothesis.
The process is clean. The process does not have a supernatural component.

Most Respectfully,
R

Nov 2017
FL Treasure Coast & South Central FL
I do, because I believe that magicians actually fool people in to believing that what they appeared to have witnessed actually happened!

Ever watch THE CARBONARO EFFECT on Tru TV? :D

Oct 2012
Louisville, Ky
It seems like atheists want me to believe that the universe just magically appeared. This is a hillarious theory which most people laugh at. Th euniverse is just too balanced and too orderly.
As an Atheist I will clearly state the Universe did not "Magically" appear in my mind. Though I do not know where particles came from I do not assume because of this ignorance. I do know it did not poof into existence because the manmade Gods decided to do it for some reason, though it may very well have been something else. If the "Theory" you propose was accurate it would indeed be quite silly and worthy of disdain....but it is not.

Nov 2017
As an Atheist I will clearly state the Universe did not "Magically" appear in my mind. Though I do not know where particles came from I do not assume because of this ignorance. I do know it did not poof into existence because the manmade Gods decided to do it for some reason, though it may very well have been something else. If the "Theory" you propose was accurate it would indeed be quite silly and worthy of disdain....but it is not.

Aug 2018
Shady Dale, Georgia
I am Agnostic. I do not have enough faith to be an Atheist. Like Tecoyah, I do not know where the particles came from, but I also do not care. The sun coming up this morning, in my mind, was not because an omnipotent creature that watches over us decided it was time for daylight. It was the rotation of the planet bringing us back to the side facing our star, the sun, again.

While I have no religion, I will defend your right to have one or not to have one.

Nov 2017
n.

While I have no religion, I will defend your right to have one or not to have one.
Even RADICAL ones where punishments are 10 times worse than the crimes, or where there is human sacrifice, or even just women not having equal rights?

Aug 2018
Shady Dale, Georgia
Even RADICAL ones where punishments are 10 times worse than the crimes, or where there is human sacrifice, or even just women not having equal rights?
I defend your right to have a religion. I defend your right to express your religious views. I defend your right to practice your religion. However, the laws of the country, state, county, and municipality still apply. If you want to sacrifice a chicken, it just needs to be your chicken, and legal in the area to which you are.

Nov 2017
I defend your right to have a religion. I defend your right to express your religious views. I defend your right to practice your religion. However, the laws of the country, state, county, and municipality still apply. If you want to sacrifice a chicken, it just needs to be your chicken, and legal in the area to which you are.
Surely you cannot defend a country's cruel & inhumane laws that are clearly BASED upon the radical dominant religion in that particular country, could you? Like: a punishment of cutting off the hand of someone for stealing a chicken. :oops:

Aug 2018
Shady Dale, Georgia
Surely you cannot defend a country's cruel & inhumane laws that are clearly BASED upon the radical dominant religion in that particular country, could you? Like: a punishment of cutting off the hand of someone for stealing a chicken. :oops:
Ralph47, that is not my country. It is theirs. Do you think that there are not people in the world that look at our country's methods of punishment thinking we are cruel? Take capital punishment, for example. Many other countries, including our neighbor to the north, Canada, look at capital punishment as barbaric and cruel. If a country, like Saudi Arabia where cutting off a thief's hand does still occur (usually in more rural areas where a local mullah has control), it is seen as a just punishment for the crime. It doesn't just happen willy nilly. I've been to Saudi Arabia. I did not see people walking all over missing appendages.

The reason for the cutting off of the hands is because it is in the Quran. There are conditions that must be met. It is interesting to look into. Ralph47, have you explored this?

Nov 2017
The reason for the cutting off of the hands is because it is in the Quran. There are conditions that must be met. It is interesting to look into. Ralph47, have you explored this?
Let me simplify the question:

Chose (A) or (B)

(A) You wish those barbaric treatments of people in certain countries, based on radical religion would cease.

(B) You are perfectly good with barbaric treatments.

Aug 2018
Shady Dale, Georgia
Let me simplify the question:

Chose (A) or (B)

(A) You wish those barbaric treatments of people in certain countries, based on radical religion would cease.

(B) You are perfectly good with barbaric treatments.
Ralph47, capital punishment is seen by many countries of the world as barbaric treatment of people. Think about it, it comes from the Bible. An eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth. We kill people, as a punishment for killing people. Now, personally, I'm in favor of the death penalty. I am simply pointing out that just because it isn't our way doesn't make it wrong. Who gets to determine what is barbaric. You gave cutting off the hand of a thief as your example. We put the thief in cell for years of their lives.

Oct 2012
NC
I am a Christian.
I like the concept of magic and enjoy books and movies that depict it.
books on magic, witches, warlocks and wizards are really big now and have been for over a decade.

you can explain away mysticism and magic, but the human soul still wants to go there. its like its embedded in us to seek out what we can't see or explain.

Aug 2018
Shady Dale, Georgia
I am a Christian.
I like the concept of magic and enjoy books and movies that depict it.
books on magic, witches, warlocks and wizards are really big now and have been for over a decade.

you can explain away mysticism and magic, but the human soul still wants to go there. its like its embedded in us to seek out what we can't see or explain.
It is sometimes fun, after watching a Harry Potter movie to think about what I would do with those magic powers. Find a lamp with a genie on the beach and what would my three wishes be?