Winston Churchill: Hero, racist, and imperialist

Nov 24, 2016
Victoria, BC
Winston Churchill: Hero, racist, and imperialist

When asked about the rights of the indigenous people in Palestine, Churchill refused to accept that they had any: “I do not admit, for example, that a great wrong has been done to the Red Indians of America or the Black people of Australia. I do not admit that wrong has been done to these people by the fact that a stronger race, a higher-grade race, a more worldly wise race, to put it in that way, has come in and taken their place.”

Years previously, as Britain’s secretary for war, Churchill had championed the use chemical weapons to put down rebellion in India and Iraq, writing in a memo, “I am strongly in favor of using poisoned gas against uncivilized tribes.” He was also responsible for the use of chemical weapons in Russia in 1919 with the aim, in conjunction with various other imperialist powers, of crushing the Russian Revolution.

During the Second World War, Churchill’s disdain for non-white European peoples was laid bare with his culpability in the deaths of three million men, women and children in the Bengal Famine of 1943.

Despite the starvation that had swept through this blighted province of India, Churchill ordered the diversion of desperately needed food from India to Europe. The fact that the 70,000 tons of food exported by the British from India in the first seven months of 1943 would have kept 400,000 people alive for a year is a chilling one. “I hate Indians,” Britain’s most venerated prime minister is said to have told one of his underlings. “They are a beastly people with a beastly religion.”
How similar, how very similar, to America's Dear Old Presidential Slimeball !

May 3, 2012
The motherland
Peace, order and a high condition of war-time well-being among the masses of the people constitute the essential foundation of the forward thrust against the enemy….The hard pressures of world-war have for the first time for many years brought conditions of scarcity, verging in some localities into actual famine, upon India. Every effort must be made, even by the diversion of shipping urgently needed for war purposes, to deal with local shortages….Every effort should be made by you to assuage the strife between the Hindus and Moslems and to induce them to work together for the common good.6
https://winstonchurchill.hillsdale.edu/did-churchill-cause-the-bengal-famine/
This is what he actually ordered Wavell to deal with the famine in India. Churchill hated Gandhi so much and he only referred to them a beastly people, when he was talking about Gandhi. Churchill's poisoned gas which he proposed to be used against "uncivilised tribes" is today's tear gas or “lachrymatory gas” in his own words. Churchill is so misunderstood by those who had not studied him properly. I once visited Churchill College in Cambridge to read his own manuscripts.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2011
Rhondda, Cymru
Churchill was a dreadful man, but he did one good thing - when he was a Liberal he sent vast numbers of police (with troops in reserve) to support the coal-owners against the most working-class Liberal seat in Britain, finishing the Liberals here for ever. Even in 45 showing the bugger on newsreels caused near-riots in our cinemas.

Oct 7, 2012
NC
During the Second World War, Churchill’s disdain for non-white European peoples was laid bare with his culpability in the deaths of three million men, women and children in the Bengal Famine of 1943.
I would imagine n 1943, worrying and taking care of his own people would have been the priority. I believe there was a war on at that time?

Mar 5, 2011
Rhondda, Cymru
I would imagine n 1943, worrying and taking care of his own people would have been the priority. I believe there was a war on at that time?
And why not look into who was fighting for us? You think 'the Empah' was neutral, do you?

Jan 4, 2018
Arkansas
Mar 5, 2011
Rhondda, Cymru
So, "real British" were not sampled in this poll?

"Sir Winston Churchill has been named the greatest Briton of all time in a nationwide poll attracting more than a million votes."

BBC NEWS | Entertainment | Churchill voted greatest Briton
We are talking about five different nations in the UK, at least four in Britain. Who exactly did they poll, and who, really, gives a twopenny? The UK is not as brainwashed and sameish as the US.

Nov 21, 2017
Behind the 8 ball
We are talking about five different nations in the UK, at least four in Britain. Who exactly did they poll, and who, really, gives a twopenny? The UK is not as brainwashed and sameish as the US.
Brainwashed by whom exactly?

Sounds like yet another conspiracy theory. :smug: