Wuhan Virus

Jul 2009
Port St. Lucie
Chinese New Year, the most important holiday in Asia (think Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years combined) and cause of the largest yearly human migration. At the center of Asia's travel infrastructure is the 11M strong city of Wuhan, China's Chicago. From that city, just as CNY travel was getting started, sprang what at 1st seemed to be a nasty cold. Over the past 2 weeks that 'cold' has mutated into an airborne, human spread plague that has infected thousands killed hundreds and spread across the world. China has, over the last 36 hours, attempted to quarantine Wuhan, then it's neighboring cities than the entire provence in an attempt to stop the spread. They failed with infections continuing to be reported outside the Quarantine zone and outside china itself. Hospitals in Wuhan are being overwhelmed and healthcare workers in full Hazmat have proven susceptible to infection raising questions as to how the medical community will fight this if it becomes a pandemic. The disease has an incubation period of 2 weeks during which time infected spread the virus without realizing they're sick explaining it's rapid spread despite aggressive containment efforts by the Chinese. The virus also has thus far proven to be fatal in about 4% of cases, putting it on par with the great plagues of history if that number holds and the virus gets out of control.

Have any of you been following this and if so, what are your thoughts?

Reactions: tecoyah
Oct 2012
Louisville, Ky
Those flimsy masks do not do anything against this type of medical problem, they need at least an N95 rated mask.

Reactions: David
Jul 2009
Port St. Lucie
Ya, surgical masks are about stopping transmission, not infection. If you're already sick and can't avoid crowds, those masks help. If you're not and trying to stay healthy though, you need something closer to a gas mask to keep the virus out. Also goggles apparently, a bunch of medical workers in Wuhan that got infected while working were infected via the eyes.

Jul 2009
Port St. Lucie
Driving is banned in quarantined cities and there are reports that roads are being destroyed to enforce it, there are talks about quarantining Beijing and all outgoing group flights will be discontinued today. China is easing into a nationwide quarantine it looks like.

The UK is hunting 2000 people that arrived from Wuhan before screening was implemented at ports of entry. Cases of infection are being reported across the US.

The virus cause no outward illness for 1-14 days while still being contagious and the only reliable screening methods currently in place look for fever only.

Oct 2012
NC
I've used masks when I fly for a while. I'd often catch a bug after flying if I didn't.
Last few times with a mask and no bug.