Your thoughts on the Crusades?

Dec 2012
United States
Except outside Arabia and the Roman Empire, Islam was quite literally sold to the locals (and for quite a profit) Vary little of Islams rapid rise to power can be blamed on the sword, money is the real culprit (a consequence I think of the religion being founded by a businessman).
Today, money may be a culprit. The sword though established Islam....and is certianly its' driving force today.

I rmemeber seeing a scene quite tragic in my opinion. Yasser Arafat's chopper landing for a final farewell to his casket landed I believe somewhere on the West Bank. People crawled over each other for a farewell. All well and good...but once the chopper left, the people returned to squalor and the rubble strewn streets....because of the non existent economy.

I asked the TV....what has this man really brought you. Whereas he could provide that catalyst against Israel, he couldn't really bring them prosperity could he. Leaders today in many Muslim countries aren't about their economies or the future of their people...they're too busy massaging the hate in their heart for either Jew or Christian....or virtually every other neighbor they have.

Get out of the Iraq War thread David? Kitchen too hot?

Jul 2009
Opa Locka
Today, money may be a culprit. The sword though established Islam....and is certianly its' driving force today.

I rmemeber seeing a scene quite tragic in my opinion. Yasser Arafat's chopper landing for a final farewell to his casket landed I believe somewhere on the West Bank. People crawled over each other for a farewell. All well and good...but once the chopper left, the people returned to squalor and the rubble strewn streets....because of the non existent economy.

I asked the TV....what has this man really brought you. Whereas he could provide that catalyst against Israel, he couldn't really bring them prosperity could he. Leaders today in many Muslim countries aren't about their economies or the future of their people...they're too busy massaging the hate in their heart for either Jew or Christian....or virtually every other neighbor they have.

Get out of the Iraq War thread David? Kitchen too hot?
So, what Muslim general conquered China? Indonesia? Why did Africa remain largely Christian if the Muslims were looking to conquer the place? There was a middle eastern religion that tired conquering the Orient by force but it was Christianity, not Islam.

Dec 2012
United States
So, what Muslim general conquered China? Indonesia? Why did Africa remain largely Christian if the Muslims were looking to conquer the place? There was a middle eastern religion that tired conquering the Orient by force but it was Christianity, not Islam.
Sir, long before the Crusades and the Middle East was invaded, the Muslims were defeated invading east and west of the european continent. But you knew that. After the death of Mohammed, they spread westward, across north africa and up into Spain.....and then across all the wat to central France. Tours their high water mark, it is the Franks under Charles Martel thrashed them. Leo I believe responsible for their defeat in the East.

History is important.

Jul 2009
Opa Locka
Sir, long before the Crusades and the Middle East was invaded, the Muslims were defeated invading east and west of the european continent. But you knew that. After the death of Mohammed, they spread westward, across north africa and up into Spain.....and then across all the wat to central France. Tours their high water mark, it is the Franks under Charles Martel thrashed them. Leo I believe responsible for their defeat in the East.

History is important.
You know, I never denied their exploits in the Roman Empire and assorted barbarians. I asked you why Africa is still Christian and why China and Indonesia are Muslim despite never being conquered... Nice try though.

Dec 2012
space
Islam is often a tool used to recruit......it's been that way for centuries. However and for example, no other religion has inspired men into battle heedless of death....or promising everlasting life for the killing of the infidel. Westerners often mistakenly belief their separation of church and state.....or politics and religion is shared by all. Many Muslim nations integrate the two, in fact choose to do so.

are you sure ???

Dec 2012
United States
No, I'm not. And thank you for the opportunity to repair.....it isn't the only religion, its' religion is beyond comparison. Islam spread far and wide following the death of Mohammed in a quite unequaled manner, it is the Christians in the early 8th century who stopped them at the gates of what is now Christian Europe.

Dec 2012
United States
My comments don't need to lean on "context provided", it's actually world history and can be found by an easy google/bing search. What is it exactly you're stuggling with?

Oct 2012
Louisville, Ky
My comments don't need to lean on "context provided", it's actually world history and can be found by an easy google/bing search. What is it exactly you're stuggling with?
I see...so you consider context irrelevant to debate?

There is no point then, as you cannot make sense to anyone but yourself.

Dec 2012
United States
I'm sorry I may not know the process here yet. See the lil ? that I asked in that last post? That's called a query. I'm asking you there exactly what you're struggling with.....ending with a lil ?. And you then ask me a question in response to my question!

Grammatically incorrect for one. And I think you full well know I can back up everything I wrote on this thread otherwise someone would be proving me wrong. Like you for example.

Dec 2012
United States
Okay...I'll bite.

What is a lil?
Once again...I ask a question.....with a lil ? on the end.....clearly asking a question....and you answer....with yet another question.

Grammar wasn't your strong suit, huh tecoyah? You're trashing the english language and I would like to be the first to ask that you tighten up.

C'mon!;)

Oct 2012
Louisville, Ky
Once again...I ask a question.....with a lil ? on the end.....clearly asking a question....and you answer....with yet another question.

Grammar wasn't your strong suit, huh tecoyah? You're trashing the english language and I would like to be the first to ask that you tighten up.

C'mon!;)
As requested.

May 2012
The motherland
In the latter half of the 9th century, Europe was going through a period of peace and tens of thousands of trained warriors had become redundant and the Byzantine Empire's plea for help to retake its lost territories including Jerusalem was welcomed by the Vatican which was struggling with containing widespread violence in Europe by those trained warriors who always sought an outlet for their violence. Moreover, capturing profitable trading colonies in the Arab-controlled territories served the economic interests of various Italian city-states and international trade flourished as a result of the Crusades.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lionheart-Sharon-Penman/dp/0230764789/ref=tmm_hrd_title_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1358809287&sr=1-1

Last edited:
Dec 2012
Florida
Most Muslims live in Europe and China and none of the things you said are happening (France being the glaring exception). Try again.
All of the things he said have been happening, and many thousands of things in addition to that. Have you not done much study of this subject ?

Dec 2012
Florida
I wish to point out a recurring issue I have noted:

It seems to me much is made of the past here, between the crusades (Christian War)...and the long standing Jihad (Islamic War).

When evolution of a society is taken into consideration, I see a direct similarity between the two...separated only by time. While I fully agree the Islamic religion retards advanced societal growth, I also note the history of the Christian advance.

The Muslim world is backwards....for now. But, it is changing along the same roads we did, we just happen to be in the middle of it.
But the critical part of it is not changing >> the Koran. When Christianity changed (the Reformation), changes were made to the original (Catholic) Christianity. As for the Koran, in all its 1400 years, not one word of it has been changed.